Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows genuine advantage notification: failed installation.

• Please log in to reply

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I purchased my PC from Bestbuy in 2001. Windows XP preinstalled. I had an OS failure (april 2006) and took it back to bestbuy. They wiped the harddrive clean and re-installed XP. I updated everything at windows update.

6-7-06
I ran windows update today and tried to install: "windows genuine advantage notification" and it failed installation. "905474". I tried several times and get the "failed installation" red icon.

I did install the windows genuine advantage validation tool "892130" and it installed with no problem.

I also checked my version of windows xp by going to my documents and running "is this copy of windows legal" and it came back "Thank you for running the Windows Validation Assistant. It appears that your Windows Product Key is valid. This is a strong indicator that your operating system is genuine".

So how do I installed the failed update??

thanks

Edited by ELECTRIC WIZARD, 07 June 2006 - 08:37 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download and install the following

many people are experiencing this for some reason (cannot update from windows update).

It does seem to update ok from the download, though

http://www.download....2d496154544.exe

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
gerry

I spent 2 hours last night with this problem. You fixed my problem in less than 5 minutes.

It worked perfectly.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:whistling: great!

splash666

splash666

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have just tried to validate as i have been doing daily for a wek. it has failed yet again but now windows won't even run! only on line by chance! please help. i'm real bad at tech stuff, just a very frustrated pc user.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
the original thread is nearly 3 years old,

i suggest you start a new thread with as much information as you can about your operating system and computer make/model and someone will be along soon to help with your issues,

thank you

splash666

splash666

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My pc is a Dell dimension 1100. It has windows XP installed. That's all the info i have.