Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What type digital camera do i need?

• Please log in to reply

kayona

kayona

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I'm not sure this is the place to find this out. I need to buy a digital camera. I sell cross stitched items on ebay so I need a camera that is able to give me a good picture, very upclose of the detailed stitching. I know that ebay pictures are normally about 400 pixels. I need something easy to use, not horribly expensive, probably just basic stuff. Really dont plan on using it for anything else. Do you have any ideas how many mega pixals i need, 3,4, etc. I'm fairly lost in trying to figure this out. Is there anything i should look for when looking for a camera etc? thanks, Kayona

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post as it could lead to more contact than you intended

Edited by Keith, 07 June 2006 - 09:30 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can look at sample galleries from various cameras, use the buying guide then side by side comparison when you narrow it down a bit

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Because ebay only lets you use a smaller image size (400 pixels) then a 3 or 4 mega pixel camera should be fine.

Although you can upload images to image shack web server, then use html code to add bigger pictures to your ebay description, I use a 5 mega pixel camera it cost $800, but then i have seen $300 4 mega pixel camera give the same quality, any camera will do your job, so if price is a concern go for the cheaper one.

you could also use the old flim camera and scan the images in or have the developers scan them to CD for you. Ask for 600dpi scan format, it's very good.

Also if you go to a camera store, usually someone there will be able to answer all your questions.

If you want close up detail of you stiches, perhaps you may need a close up macro lens filter to help get it in focus... how close are you talking?

Edited by st22, 10 June 2006 - 04:25 AM.