Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer: Major CMOS checksum problems

• Please log in to reply

DMBCross

DMBCross

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I've recently (6-6-06) built a computer. Everything seems to be working fine, until it gets to the first blank screen, where it gives you the option to get into Setup or go on into Windows, ect. Here is the problem:
CMOS checksum error- defaults loaded.
Warning! Now system is in Safe Mode
Please re-setting CPU or memory frequency in the CMOS setup.
Warning! CPU has been changed.
Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit!

I get that, and if I press F1 to continue, it goes into the check to make sure there are no bootable CD roms, Floppies, ect. After a few minutes, it'll just shut off. Also, in BIOS, it shows that it doesn't read my harddrive at all, and the harddrive has been tested in another computer and it shows that it works fine in that other machine. Finally, when I change something in the Setup (BIOS) menu, it won't save, or when it does save it will start making siren-ish noises until I reset the CMOS.

So far, I've tried resetting the CMOS, removing the battery to CMOS, replacing the battery to CMOS, running with just the basic needed hardware, different types of keyboards 'n mice, and with/without the stick of RAM. Any help with this problem would be much thanked.

Thank you,

-DMBCross

Abit NI8 SI -Motherboard
GeForce 6800 Xtreme Edition - Graphics
Pentium D 3.0GHz - Processor
1GIG DDR2 667 - RAM
Onboard Soundcard

Advertisements