Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Professional cannot activate

• Please log in to reply

ewagner

ewagner

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried to install Windows XP Professional on my home computer after it was installed on my work computer.

Now is says that I cannot activate it. How do I restore my original XP Home edition without losing my new dsl which was installed last night and other programs ? :whistling:

Also it will not let me restart in safe mode. Pressing F8 gives me the option of opening Windows Professional or performing a System Restore.

If I leave windows XP Professional unactivated after 30 days, what will happen ? Can't seem to find that on the web.

Edited by ewagner, 08 June 2006 - 06:16 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
couple of questions...where did y ou get xp pro from if you had xphome to begin with...
why are you wanting to go with xp pro instead of home?
what method did you use to install pro?
what do you mean it won't let you activate?

ewagner

ewagner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got the XP Pro from the IT person at work.They purchased me a copy and put it on my office workstation. I thought I could load it on my home computer. Thy said if I had XP Pro they could fix it so I could work from home if I neded to.

It was my understanding that I had to have XP Pro for this to work.

Because it was loaded and activated on my office pc, it will not work on any other pc. According to Microsoft this is an antipiracy protection. I tried to find out what will happed after 30 days, but could not find. When you go in the control panel to add/remove
software XP does not even display and my pc cannot even be started in safe mode.

I will probably have to do a system restore. I have an HP pavillon a500n.

Edited by ewagner, 08 June 2006 - 08:49 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...you were wrong on step one....xp is only licenced for o ne computer at a time..you'll have to buy your own copy of xp (either pro or home) to get this to work...other than that...we can't really help with that aspect..

to get rid of pro and go back to home..yes you'll have to do a destructive recovery with the hp media...