Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Always get: Program not responding AOLacsd.exe

• Please log in to reply

Anthea2

Anthea2

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
:whistling: Hi Folks!
Every time I shut down the computer, I get the grey box which says; End program AOLacsd.exe, the program is not responding so I click "End Now" and then it proceeds.
This has been going on for awhile so we've just gotten used to it, but want to get rid of this annoyance.
We used to have dial up AOL but now we have wireless (since 8/05) and get aol through Time warner cable.
We have windows XP professsional, (pentium 2, ancient PC not much memory)
Is this left over from my AOL dial up days or is it indicative of another problem?
(Sari, your helper, cleaned up my PC in January of several infections- so I think I'm clean)

:blink:
We also have a laptop and another PC without this problem
Thanks for any advice you can give,
Anthea2

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
AOLacsd.exe is a part of the AOL Internet Software and relates to the connection driver, essential to Internet connection. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Click start then control panel, network and internet, network connections

How many connections are shown

Is the one for wireless easily identifiable, if yes, right click the dial up connection, click disable

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, click select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Check you are able to connect