Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISP Conflict? - Slow Connection Speed

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
In a nutshell, my company laptop was provided to me w/ Netzero preloaded as the ISP for remote (home or on the road) use. At the office we use a wireless T-1 connection. No problem w/ office or remote Netzero connection until about a week ago.

About a week ago, I was unable to connect thru Netzero from home (first time in over a year), which I do every nite for home work, and have been unable to connect since then (I've tried every day). I receive a variety of error messages.

So, I setup a new Network connection thru my personal Earthlink account on this laptop last Friday for remote (out of office) use. With my home dial up, typical connection speed thru Netzero was consistent at 49.2 kbps until the problem began. Thru my personal tower PC connection speed is consistently 45.2 kbps (since 1998) and remains the same today.

I set up my laptop Earthlink connection last Friday and found a variable range of 4 to 29 kbps speed (changed every time I connected). So, I spent 6-7 hours on the phone w/ Earthlink tech's. (from India, 3 calls, to New Brunswick to North Carolina and back to New Brunswick). The final Earthlink recommendation was to completely uninstall Netzero from my laptop, stating that Netzero would interfere w/ any other ISP's connection attempt. They (an Earthlink tech. who once worked for Netzero) also told me that it is unlikely that I will be able to completely free my laptop from Netzero software and connection interference without Netzero's help, something about an ".ini" file that would not be removed thru a typical uninstall.

I find 2 files in the Netzero subdirectory named that I suppose deal w/ Netzero uninstallation; uninst.exe & uninstacc.exe. I do not find a "Readme" or "Help" file in the main Netzero directory that might guide me thru uninstallation.

Any wisdom, experience, etc., would be appreciated. I loathe Netzero.

Advertisements

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Update.... In the last several days my Earthlink connection speed has returned to normal (48 to 49 kbps) on my laptop. Perhaps the anomaly had something to do w/ Earthlink, though I have not otherwise experienced this problem since I signed up w/ Earthlink and the Earthlink tech's. (see above) thought otherwise. I have no explanation, just an update on the current situation. Curious. Perhaps Netzero software relinquishes control after a period of non use?

I will post again if the situation backsteps.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Your Internet speed is going to fluctuate, whether dial up cable or dsl based on several variables, and I'm glad that your connection speed returned to normal on its own. It is not uncommon for dial up to slow down as you described. 56K is the max, not the expectation. I have a cable connection, less than 2 blocks from the ISP. There are days I can upload at 900Kbs or better, and days I'm lucky to get dial up speeds.

Johanna

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Johanna.... I have heard comments over the years similar to yours and don't doubt it. However, I find it curious that I had not perviously experienced such fluctuations in the 8+ years I have been connecting thru Earthlink. Speeds were always 48+ kbps, except once or twice when Earthlink was making changes/maintenance and they notified me in advance. They have been exceedingly reliable & consistent. Only when I established my personal Earthlink connection on this particular laptop, preloaded w/ Netzero, did I run into this problem. The Earthlink folks explanation is in my 1st post; right or wrong.

Anyway, it's been good the last 4 days, I'm satisfied. Don't fix it if ain't broke.

Thanks for your response.

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Jahanna.... I continue to have good connection speed so I believe this topic can be closed. Since you are the only Staff respondent to this topic can you close it? I would if I knew how.

Veni, Vidi, Vici :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I am glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for posting back and letting us know how you resolved the problem. I'm making a mental note of possible NetZero/EarthLink conflicts, for the future.

Johanna

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

Johanna.... Update on an earlier topic that you assisted me with. The original topic is closed but this is important, which is why I am PMing you. Do not know how to link you to the closed topic.

My original post was 6/7/2006, your final post was 6/13/2006.

In any case, my connection speed issue turned out to be hardwire related. I ran into the problem a few weeks later after you closed the topic. One of my service tech's. recommended I check terminal connections for my multiple home phone lines, explaining that "line noise' from connections, damaged siring, etc., can cause this problem. I went into the basement, jiggled all connections, found nothing loose, went back online and voila! all back to normal. Went online w/ both Earthlink & Netzero to test. My terminals are not covered and open to accidental impact from my wife or kids carrying things into and out of the basement (soon to be corrected).

It has been almost a month now, no connection speed issues.

I consider this update important since the vast majority of such problems are assumed to be software, ISP or phone company related. Many of us forget to check the basics: hardware, even simple things like wiring, etc.

FYI.... ProEd

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
this is great for connection problems

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

you may consider the possibly of malware

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Johanna.... Thank you for adding the update. May help others in a similar :blink: situation.

rushin1nd.... Thanks for the advice :whistling:

Keep the faith.... ProEd