Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom Built PC, wont past POST..

• Please log in to reply

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Brand new ..custom built pc..
Celeron D 336+ 533 Mhz FSB...and all of the yada yada yada......
ECS P4M800PRO-M
( my friend got this combo at fry's)

Ok...computer will POST...will give me a CMOS Checksum error: ..bad date/time...so i pressed F1 to set it up...save changes.

It will beep once, will past Post...will check NVRM?? , then i will get a blinking cursor..suddenly it will beep and restart. Then it will send me to Infamous page: We apologize for the inconvinience....blah ..blah...blah..
I get to choose the usually 3 option...start windows normallly and so on. Well, no matter what i do..it keeps restarting. it goes beep..after 4 seconds...it beeps again, meanig it wont past the blinking cursor.

I have reset cmos and check PSU. I have never seen a problme like this one. You guys think is the CPU? or Mobo? :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It sounds like either the MB is bad or the hard drive is bad. i would first try another HD before replacing the motherboard. Usually a blinking curser in the corner says the system is running but theres nothing to display( no OS). Can you hit the delete key while starting and get to the bios? If you can see if you can find anything there unusual like no information for the HD. Did you have a windows CD in one of the drives to see if the OS would start installing?

SRX660

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I can get into BIOS;it detecs hard drive and all the peripherals the comb has. This hard drive has XP PRO SP2 install;I am just upgrading mobo, ram and cpu. Hardrive is a brand new that the old computer had before thats the reason its kinday odd to me that it cant go any further after cursor blinking and after beep.

I willl insert XP Pro cd and see what happens. Maybe someone that builds computers and have come accross this same problem can give me a hint, but im still thinking its the mobo...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Butcherboy...

You changed quite a bit of hardware...your OS is probably no longer able to use the old configuration.

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
An update of the situation:

When my friend built this system, he was using a copy of XP pro, thus i couldnt repair. Luckily, when he bought the combo at Fry's, they have him an OEM CD of XP HOME. I reformated brand new hard drive using MAX Blast 4(Maxtor). But when i tried to install XP HOME, some errors came up:

C000021A Fatal System Error

ISASS.EXE- System error

IRQ_Not_Less_Or_Equal Stop: 0x0000000A(0x00000004,0x00000002,0x00000000, 0x804E6D3F1)

also, noticed that these error appear right on the middle when im trying to install XP HOME or when system reboots to continue installing windows.

I have "fix" some of the above errors except the IRQ_ ...this is is kinda odd to me since NO pci device is on the pci slots....video its onboard, as well as audio and NIC.

Last time i tried to install XP HOME, i got an error saying that certain file of windows was corrupted due maybe to "bad XP HOME CD".....i hope is this true...

This morning, when i re-reformat hard drive, and tried to install XP HOME again, i got this error again, but kinda different in the code
IRQ_Not_Less_Or_Equal Stop: 0x000000D1(0xC18C2EF7, 0x00000002)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the RAM Memory with memtest

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

If that checks as OK

Use boot and nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Run auto nuke

During the XP install, use the default NTFS format, not quick and check it is creating RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, press the restart button and it will default to C

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I ran auto nuke...no non-fatals errros...

I followed instruction but got the following error when system is coping files from cd to hard drive
Page_Fault_In_NonPage_Area
Stop:0x00000050

Im getting afraid now, cause i threw away the box where the hard drive came.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got the receipt or a credit card bill

Ram Memory is another option

Download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Using Memtest

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I just pull the stick and used one of mines and presto!! Windows XP was able to install with not problems until Log on....lol..
I got this message:

LOGON MESSAGE

The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The specified domain either doesnt exist or couldnot be contacted

When I installed windows, i created a log in name, but left password blank so i click enter and gave me the above error. Same error i get if i tried to use Guest as a log in..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Applies to 2000 but check it

http://support.micro...kb/228328/en-us

Have you installed the network adapter, was it connected while you installed XP

Advertisements

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well, the Net adapter is onboard, i check in bios and its enable. I cant run Motherboard's cd drivers/software at startup; it bypass and send me to log in. I am reinstalling xp home and skipping user name.

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
man o man.... I re install windows...got everyting set up, then install motherboard drives. I reboot and got this message now: Invalid or damage bootable partition :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Keith's offline at the moment, so I'll poke my nose back in for a minute.

Is the disk you are using an OEM disk that came bundled with the machine or is it a retail version? Can you boot to Recovery Console with it?

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Its the almighty OEM XP HOME edition :whistling: .....i know that this cd is not good cause: Its oem...and they have a good reputation of having bad files after bad files corrupted.

Anyway, i reboot it and no problems now..im about to do a 48hrs burn in test..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool...let us know how it goes. :whistling: