Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Custom Built PC, wont past POST..

• Please log in to reply

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, remember that i posted saying about using one stick on mine and putting in the brand new computer?...well, the brand new computer ran well with my memory but my computer got the BSDs now..LOL.. I just put back my old-good ram and problems begone, also i took out the bad ram from my computer.

Now, here is the catch, I was doing the second part of the update from Microsoft....(44 updates total) when i rebooted, it dont pass the Xp logo, it restarts....and restarts....and restarts.

FYI: Before i updated windows, i run from Maxblast the Big Drive enabler...it changed something on registry to allow the big drive enabler..i reboot it and boom...got the message that i wrote in the other post. I hate OEMs CDS...they messed up everything, thus the cheap price :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like you installed a drive overlay...there's a way to fix this, but as you have no data on the machine yet, it will be faster to reinstall the OS. Don't install the Big Drive Enabler this time.

And then get yourself some new memory. It would appear that the sticks you have are either bad or incompatable.

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well, i reinstalled XP home, bougth a new stick of ram and did a burn in test: it passed. No more restarts until, i decided to updated windows. The first update was ok. 3.1 installer or something was call. The problem was when i updated again, 44 updates and 1 critical. After install and i try to rebooted, the problem arose again. So the updates are messing up. Is there any way i could do this without going to each update(44 total) and find out the bad one?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to add / remove, tick show updates, look for these two and click remove

[attachment=8991:attachment]

If no change, choose any one which is listed as a hotfix or security update for XP, make a note of the number and remove them until windows runs properly

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
any idea why updates causing this? ...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There was a guy here the other day who added a couple and it gave all sorts of problems, they don't always get it right, and it can be good to look at what an update is for, if nothing you use, then leave it a while

In your position, where updates are a problem, make a note of the number before you install any, then you know which ones to remove

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
All fix..problem solve.

This is just another example of how software is kinda complicated like a woman(sorry for the analogy)...you gotta pay extra attention, not to fast, not to slow. :blink:

I updated one by one ALL the CRITICAL UPDATES(4 total) and create a restore point on each before restarting...presto! no more problems. :whistling: