Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperately need help!1!

• Please log in to reply

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Ok so I installed this program called Deep Freeze, which apparently resets your computer configuration on startup. Anyway all I had was a disc image so I mounted it with Daemon Tools and installed. It asked for a reboot so I did.

Out of nowhere I get the blue screen then automatic reboot asking for checking computer hardware configuration and stuff, so now I can't use that computer at all.

It looks like Deep Freeze embeds itself into Windows because it also starts up with safe mode as well and every other option I've tried with boot options. Is there any way to remove Deep Freeze from starting up, or uninstalling the program completely? Any program that lets you make a boot disc and access installed files or something like that?

Help greatly needed and appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XPthe article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 315222

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Booting from safe mode is a no-go. Any other ideas? How do you create a Windows XP boot disc (not floppy)?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Safe mode with a command prompt is different and worth a go here

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Yeah that doesn't work either :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got an XP CD

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
nein

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot discs will only take an installation so far before needing the OS CD to complete anything worthwhile

At the very least, you will need to borrow a same version XP CD as was originally installed, if you downloaded SP2 you will need an SP1 CD

You will need to use your product key during a repair install, not the one belonging to the borrowed CD

You could remove the hard drive, install it as a slave drive in another PC and access the files to save any you need to the other PC or to CDR / DVDR

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
So what's the easiest way to uninstall a programs from the broken computer (even if it takes a windows boot disc) or to just get it working?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can get boot discs but will need the OS CD at some point

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Use the Setup disks
After you create all six disks, insert the first disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart the computer. The computer must be configured to boot from the floppy disk drive. You may have to modify the BIOS settings on your computer to do this.

The Setup process starts. Insert the other floppy disks as you are prompted to do so. You must use the Windows XP CD-ROM to finish the Setup process.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=310994

OR

1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
2. When Press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console appears, press R.
3. Select the Windows installation and enter the administrator password at the prompt.
4. Type "bootcfg /add" and press Enter.
5. When a missing Windows Installation is located, respond Y to add the installation to the boot list.
6. At Enter Load Identifier, type Windows XP Professional (or Home Edition).
7. At Enter Operating System Load Options:, press Enter.
8. Exit the Recovery Console and select the first item on the boot menu.
9. After you log on, edit C:\Boot.ini to remove the improper entry.

NOTE: A typical C:\Boot.ini file contains:

[boot loader]
timeout=7
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Advertisements

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I have a recovery drive D:/ on this computer, will that help any at all?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What is the make and model of the PC

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Compaq Presario...Windows XP Home edition Sp2

Anything with that D:/ drive?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got the number after presario, then I can look at the site for the options

http://h20180.www2.h....x=8&submit.y=8

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
SR1311NX

The blue screen says something about making sure all newly added hardware or drivers is installed correctly or whatever. I just wanna remove deepfreeze :/