Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro boots slow with SP2

• Please log in to reply

captintong

captintong

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I formatted my hard drive and install a fresh copy of windows xp pro and it boots fast. After installing SP2 and rebooting the post comes up fine, but then the screen goes black for a minute or two. After that there is a white status bar across the bottom of the black screen. This changes to a solid white bar after about 10 minutes. Every time I restart or perform a cold boot, it's just as long. If i uninstall SP2 the boot time is normal (30secs or so). When windows finally starts everything runs fine (updates, program installs, etc). Any help would be awesome.

thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a go with this, run the disc clean up and then registry clean up, it will give you the option of what to remove. Have a go with registry defrag, PC will stop responding and you need to reboot.

Usually, if XP looks for bits of programmes which have not been completely installed or uninstalled it will slow boot up. Do you have any anti-virus or spyware scanners which run at boot

TuneUp 2004 Trial