Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express Inbox

• Please log in to reply

gdp4986

gdp4986

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, For some reason suddenly, I have lost all previous emails and saved mail in 7 different Inbox folders.Does anyone have any ideas or fixes, please . Or if not could you tell me the right forum please ?. Strangely enough my g/f has just started using this PC. Cheers

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi gdp4986!

In Outlook Express, go to FILE-->SWITCH IDENTITY. In the new window that appears, what names are listed? Should be at least one called Main Identity, but I'm thinking there is another listed here.

Fenor

gdp4986

gdp4986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks , but just the one main identity. Sorry

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
In Outlook Express, go to TOOL-->OPTIONS. In the new window that appears, click on the MAINTENANCE tab and then click on the STORE FOLDER button. What does it say in the box below the heading Your personal message store is located in the following folder:?

Fenor

gdp4986

gdp4986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your help, sorry about the delay in replying, please see the answer below. I did as you asked and I have found the file folder and inside are the sub folders from my inbox,they are all in .dbx format. How do I restore them to Outlook Express please ?

The answer to your question is C:\Documents and Settings\Myname\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E875A085-719C-4DA8-9E3F-CFE5F6CBC4E0}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Thank you again for your help

Regards Gdp4986

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What are the names and sizes of the dbx files in that folder?

Also, when you go to the C:\Documents and Settings\Myname\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\ folder, are there any other items listed besides {E875A085-719C-4DA8-9E3F-CFE5F6CBC4E0}? If there are, open these folders and see if there is a Microsoft\Outlook Express subfolder in any of them.

Fenor

gdp4986

gdp4986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

There are four folders in total in Identities - the one previously mentioned dated 26/7/2006

C:\Documents and Settings\Myname\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{5E8C0FA3-F94D-4DC2-B9D2-91CA58002F20} - dated 26/7/2005 this folder is empty

A Microsoft folder containing an Outlook Express folder and all my previous .dbx files dated 26/7/2005

A Outlook Express folder with all the previous .dbx files dated 6/6/2006

Also in Identities are all previous .dbx files

There doesnt seem to be a folder with the current .dbx inbox folders in it ?

And they contain a inbox and a inbox(1) .dbx file ? It is very confusing and hard to explain.

Let me know if you need more info, and thanks again

gdp4986

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try going into Outlook Express and changing the STORE FOLDER to each of these folders (of course only use the folders that have a Microsoft/Outlook Express subfolder inside of it). Each time after you change to a new folder location for the store folder, close Outlook Express and then reopen it. Then check and see if your old email messages are back. Don't worry about forgetting the original store folder location, since you typed that here in an earlier post and can reference it later to change it back if need be.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 June 2006 - 02:02 AM.

gdp4986

gdp4986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for that, will try when I get home, currnetly at work, thanks heaps

gdp4986

gdp4986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello again,

Tried what you suggested but no luck, always copies store folders and doesnt revert back to old setup.
I'm at a loss to know why ? Do you have any other ideas ?

Thanks for your effort.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->SEARCH. In the new window that appear click on the link ALL FILES AND FOLDERS on the left side of the window. In the All or part of the name text box, put in *.dbx. Then click SEARCH. See if it comes back with any inbox(2).dbx, inbox(3).dbx or any other folder with the format inbox(*).dbx where * is any number between 0 and 9.

If none are found, then you could try doing a System Restore to a point when you last remember the folders being there in Outlook Express.

Fenor