Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access external hard drive after resetting system restore

• Please log in to reply

plante

plante

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello, I have been working on the malware removal forum to remove some malware from my computer. It has been pronounced clean and went to complete the last step, resetting the system restore to erase any old infected time points. I have a Maxtor 200gig external hard drive attached to the computer and after the system restore (I did not exclude it) it started beeping and there was an error message that said something like unable to save data to g drive. The person using it at the time rebooted and could then see the folders on the g drive but it was greyed out and listed as offline. I rebooted again and this time it doesn't show the G drive in the my computer list at all. I thought about using system restore to go back to the one new time point but while going through the process got a message saying "Changes made to drive (G): after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from System Restore monitoring, or was turned off and removed." The drive was connected at this point but I didn't go forward with the system restore thinking I should contact this forum first. Thank you for helping me on this!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you access the drive from another computer? if so...maybe pull all the data off of it...then format it...and put the data back onto it and try again?

plante

plante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
We tried to access it from a laptop but the computer would not recognize it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
usually not a good sign...
hook the drive to the computer and turn it on (if it's got a power switch) is it detected?
right click my computer > manage > device manager > do you see the drive there? (expand the usb stuff and see if it's there with any yellow ? or !)

in the same computer management screen choose disk manager...do you see the drive there?

plante

plante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I can't see it on either of those two places.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in device manager right click on any device and choose the "scan for hardware changes"...does it detect the drive?

plante

plante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
no

The Coffee Lady

The Coffee Lady

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:) I am having the same problem. I have another hard drive that I have been using for back-up and now it is not showing up. I also had to do a system restore and it still is not showing up. I did the things that were said to do with the device man (scan for hardware changes) and still nothing.

It all started when I had no explorer. I would have to do a ctrl+alt+del and use task manager to bring it up and every since then the drive would not come (fixed no explorer) and a lot of program will not work and a lot are just gone including the information that was in the registry for the programs.