Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop Help

• Please log in to reply

kjmom57

kjmom57

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm not sure if I am in the right forum or not. I am running Win XP and I recently changed my background pic on the desktop. Because of the color of the pic, I cannot read the words/print under the icons. Can I change the color (which seems to be white no matter what I try) of the print under the icons? How?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
icons change automatically depending on the color of the desktop--note, this is different from the desktop picture.

even though you are using a picture, there is still an active color beneath it that determines the font color.

Here are some instructions

Change it to something light colored or white. Display>
Appearance> Advanced>Item> Desktop.

You'll need to turn off "use drop shadows" in System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings> Visual Effects as XP's drop shadows are always done off of white text.

One drawback, this will force a black font but it will also put "holes" in
the wallpaper - no transparent icon labels. If you prefer to keep the
transparency, there is an alternative.

Leave background color and drop shadows alone. Then, using a graphics program, open a copy of the image file being used for wallpaper. Use the graphics program to adjust the image so that light text is more visible.

Examples: Use the burn tool on the edge(s) of the image or use color
adjustments to darken the entire image. I've darkened edges on quite a few images for my system. Acceptable results were achieved with a minimal amount of editing.