Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Problem. Help Please!

• Please log in to reply

pcbguy

pcbguy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a folder on a PC that was locked by some sort of folder locking program. When the PC was restored the folder was transferred but not the program that locked it. Now the folder icon has changed and when you click on it, it opens the control panel. The size of the folder indicates that the pics are still there but I cannot figure out how to access them.

And this person doesn't remember the lock program that was used.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Gameplayer

Gameplayer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
First of all, you MUST know EXACTLY what program you did locked that folder with, and then install that program again.
And after that you must know what password you used as well.
And then you can access that folder and delete it.
But if you don't have that information it can be very hard to open/delete the folder.
However, there is one more possibility, if nothing else works.
Either you have to live with that folder or else you must format the harddrive.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that program seems to have been locked by secrecy file /folder locker (can't remember the FULL name of the folder but...dems da breaks)...

this program will take the folder....and hide it...then change the file/folder name to foldername.{clsid of control panel} that way...if you can indeed find the file/folder...you still can't open it....the program sucks...but it works....luckily it's easy to break

press start > run > cmd
now use the cd command to navigate to the location of the folder
(for example...if the folder is named "bob" and it's located in the program files folder you would type
cd .. untill you get to the c:\ prompt with nothing after it
then type cd program files <enter>)
now you would want to type dir /A (this is to make sure that you can see the folder if it's still hidden)
in the list that shows up you should now see the folder name
(let's say we're looking for the bob folder...you'd have big list of folders...one of them would be bob.{23534213453214512312341} ..i made up those numbers...so don't worry about that...it SHOULD be the only folder with .{anything} after it..)
then you would type
attrib -r -h <foldername.{whatever that number is}
then

ren <foldername.{whatever that number is}> <folder name without the number>

and the file should now be working...

pcbguy

pcbguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did it. I moved the file to another pc and used the command prompt to move the files. Thanks for everyones help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you got all the files back out of the folder?