Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS Boot Problem :(

• Please log in to reply

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Ok I currently had Windows XP, but I had a problem with it so I tried installing Windows 98 using a setup cd over it. The install worked and replaced some files and I installed to c:/win98 but on the windows 98 OS when I tried accessing the C: Presario drive I had on Windows XP, it showed as a wireless connection and didn't config right. Basically everything with Windows 98 didn't work.

So I formatted c: and that was all. I hooked up my hdd as a slave to the computer I'm on now but all of my files from the windows xp os were still present.

When I boot up my computer it doesn't appear to recognize the Windows XP existence. It says that no files were found and to insert a CD eventually, but that appears to be leftovers of the Win98 platter. Is there any way (files to replace) to get the computer to boot up using the old Windows XP OS?

Help desperately needed :whistling:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi imafool4u!

When you say that you 'formatted c:,' what did you actually do to perform this format?

Fenor

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
i typed the command format c in command prompt in win98

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Unfortunately you deleted everything on that hard drive. There are recovery tools to get the data back if you absolutely need to recovery it, but they don't always work.

If there is nothing you need saved, then lets just put Windows XP back on the computer. Do you have your Windows XP CD and product key?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I just noticed that you have another topic and were being helped by Keith. Did you backup all the important data when you set it up as slave on the other computer? If you have, then go ahead and do the destructive recovery. This will set your computer up like the day you got it.

Fenor

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I can still access the files if I set it up as a slave drive. It isn't recognizing that there is an old WinXP installation or the system recovery option either.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would say it's time to contact HP tech support using the links Keith gave in your other topic, especially the ones to talk with a live technician over the Internet. There really is nothing that we can do to help you since you don't have a viable (aka usable) OS and your recovery partition is damaged. They should send you out the installation cd(s) for your computer if you ask them to do so.

Fenor

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
If I had windows 98 installed... is there anything i could do to get back to windows XP?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Not unless you have a Windows XP CD, and if you had a Windows XP cd you wouldn't need to install 98 in the first place, you could just install Windows XP itself.

Please contact HP like it has been suggested. They will be able to tell you what options you have available.

Fenor