Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

virus problem

• Please log in to reply

kerryj234

kerryj234

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi i have windows xp. and i have the virus - winfixer. updated norton seems unable to get rid of it. what can i do? thanks for any advice.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi kerryj234! Welcome to G2G!

You can try and follow along with THIS guide for how to remove Winfixer from your computer. If you have any troubles following along with the guide, then please go to the Malware Forum and post a new topic describing your current problem, that you are having troubles following the removal guide, and also post a HijackThis log. If you don't know how to post a HijackThis log, then please go HERE and go down to STEP 5. This will tell you how to post a HijackThis log.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 08 June 2006 - 09:52 AM.

kerryj234

kerryj234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi, thanks for this, while i was waiting for a reply, i re did norton and it seems to have worked
because when i ran vundofix it says i have no virus.
but i have another big problem
over the last couple weeks i have received an alert on start up:
'since windows was first activated the hardware has changed significantly. due to
these changes windows must be reactivated within 3 days'.
i have received these alerts 3 or 4 times now and each time i have reactivated.
yesterday i got the same alert and when i tried to reactivate, it requested my product
key which i typed in. it then said, i have used the product key too many times and need to
buy a new one.
is this a virus? i don't understand whats going on because i havent' changed the hardware.
i am really worried i wont be able to use my computer in 3 days time. i rang up windows
and they tested my product key and said it was legitimate. (it always was and still is).
do you know what i can do?
thanks, kerry

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Seems like the activation is corrupt. From what I have read, the only thing that seems to work is to do a repair installation of windows...

What I suggest you do is a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, after doing this all your programs will still work and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is replace your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all windows updates after doing this. So make sure the first thing you do after the repair installation is done is going to Windows Update. Keep going to Windows Update after reboots until there are no critical updates left to get!

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 June 2006 - 01:31 AM.