Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Think your day sucks?

• Please log in to reply

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
whos the monkey? me?

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

whos the monkey? me?

No, you would have to be the fox.

Edited by Octagonal, 09 June 2006 - 03:06 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok well let's say that you coat the lead in like....plastic...and THEN eat it? would you die then?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
You probably would if you ate enough of it and went swimming right after!

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Doesn't led also cause blindness and I don't think lead was the main cause of the fall fo the Roman Empire I thought it was invaders but I may be wrong

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
And yes you would sink like a rock if you at enough plastic coated lead but if you drank a red bull it should even you out since it gives you wings

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The invasions were part but the fact that the entire ruling class was off its not due to chonic lead poisoning was a major factor considering that the roman empire was much more powerful than anyone else at the time it would have took a madmen to let the roman empire fall, and they were a bit loopy, lead poisoning contributed its part to the fall.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Doesn't led also cause blindness

I think you mean something about the monkey doing something with the monkey, least thats what my dad told me

Scot
are you really trying to make sense of all this ? justify it with historical facts ?

looks fairly simple to me, the monkey ate lead had a drink or 2 of it as well, started doing monkey things with his monkey and went blind, laid in a grave yard being he was too short to be dead the fox threw him in the water where he sunk like a lead "monkey"

sound about right ?

psst get the pencil out of your mouth :whistling:
anyone for paint chips and dip

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im not looking up a text book go and look yourself, i did history at school ive no inclination to do it again.

The lead thing was a chemistry project/demo at school because i live in an area heavily devloped by romans(one of their most northerly settlements) and archeologists discovered when studying roman plumbing systems that indoor plumbing was made entirley of lead piping and lead was heavily used in things like plates and cups. It was used as a hypothesis to support the supposed madness of several key hostorical figures and to explain the seemingly high occurence of that madness.

Besides pencils are made from graphite, its a form of carbon where the arrangement means it all lies in layers instead of a 3d network like diamond.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think when we talk of the Roman Empire falling, one must remember that it was the western empire only, the eastern empire kept going. Yes Rome was sacked and the city's water supple was torn down in the process but the barbarians left afterwards and the they could have reconnected the water supply but they didn't so the population that had been half a million before become a few thousand but what really happened was not the fall in Rome but more the end of the idea of the Roman Empire, that Roman empire where a club with citizenship as membership with the idea of European peace backed up by Roman military might and Roman expertise all at the cost of tax and slaves was a good thing for one and all. What happened, the legions were withdrawn and the locals reverted to their old ways because noone could afford to keep it going as the Romans had done, trade stopped, rivalry errupted, populations pulmeted, the dark ages set in and within a short timespan everything that had been Roman had been rejected, lost or just thought way over budget. (Christanity too in western Europe was almost lost too though I know we aren't allowed to talk about that here) Conclusion, the Western Roman Empire did not fall in conquest since many Roman cities can fall and still the system continues(even the capital then as it was after Rome was sacked by the gauls many centuaries before), no, the sack of Rome proved that the club had lost its sway with its members states and even idividual believers: the Roman way was rejected then.

Advertisements

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Talk about a *complete* change of topics
:whistling:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hey Monkey, great information there! Copied it and passed it on to my teenagers (who read it and looked at me like I was from another planet, by the way!). So I figured after working the graveyard shift I'd invite a few friends over to have the upper crust and chew the fat, and because I'm dirt poor I'll serve 'em peas porridge (wouldn't touch tomatoes, though) and I'd better do it soon cause I'm still smelling pretty rosy after my bath last month, though the bloke on my kitchen table's not smelling too good and geez I wish he'd wake up so all the family'd go home cause it's raining cats n dogs and I've got to go and empty the canopy over my bed!

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
great i cuased a led havok :whistling:

Edited by daniel_c, 12 June 2006 - 02:37 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Going back to the original artical one could add that lighting was provided by burning a a reed that had been dipped in fat, it was held in the middle by placing a stone below and a stone above so when one really needed more light one lit the other end(burn the candal at both ends) Meals were eaten of a wooden square plate called a trencher(he eats like a trencher man), the table had a normal surface that could be turned over to reveal a for better surface for when important guests came(turning the tables on someone)

Now lets add that sugar was a new thing in the 15th century, and therefore most peoples teeth until that point had been better than ours.

Potatoos came to be accepted quickly(though first they sometimes got it wrong eating the leaves) in fact, if they had discovered them in our day they probably would be rejected because the eyes are very dangerous.

Most people shared the bed if they could afford one, and slept together if it was just straw, it could be argued that TB decreased a lot when this habbit was stopped.

Anyway, there is a lot more I could write but perfer everyone addiingto a thread bit by bit

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe i wish i could tell you guys how happy this thread makes me...hahaha...started out as a simple funny post...and look where it's gone? it's a MONSTER!!