Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crippled Bandwidth?

• Please log in to reply

Bile

Bile

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed a Linksys router to my PC, and now my DL speed is one third of what it usually is. I have done several different bandwidth tests from different sites, and some say that it's normal, while a few others say that it's slow. The modem works great connected directly to the PC, but once the router is set up, my download speeds drop drastically (sometimes, down to 10Kbps!). I have a DSL line that usually downloads at 152Kbps regularly. I thought that maybe it was a defective router, so I went back to the store and exchanged it for a new one. Same problem. Anyone know what I should adjust in the settings? I adjusted the MTU, but it only slowed it down even more.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are these FTP downloads?

Bile

Bile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
They're downloads from music sites, Download.com, gaming sites, etc...Just various downloads that I could think of in order to test my speed.

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Of cause the Bandwidth will be a bit slow with more then one computer! IF it is very VERY slow ,well:

1:You have too many networked computers!
2:Your ISP is, well, done something to your Internet because they know, somehow, found you are using a router , and they don't like it!

BCM

BCM

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Bile,
Did you ever figure this out? I bought a WRK54G (version 2) in Dec 2006 and am having the exact same issues as you.