Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting an upgrade

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello i want to upgrade my video card to play this game i got for my b-day, (battlefeild 2) but i dont know anything about video cards or computers in general.

Anyways this is what i have right now:
AMD sempron 2 gigahertz 3500
512 mb ram
ATI radeon express 200 video card
This is what i need:

* 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater
* 512 MB of RAM or more
* Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible (see video)

* NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
or
* ATI Radeon 8500 or greater

Now from what i understand the only thing id have to upgrade would be my videocard. I fond this -

http://www.compusa.c...9247&pfp=BROWSE

Is that a good deal? Thanks everyone

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not really a good deal pretty crap card for alot of money, youre gonna need something more powerful to play that game well, the 9250 performs lower than a 5700 as well.

Youll need at least an x700 to be better than what you have and play well, the ati 200 you have is actually better than that 9250 i think.

What graphics interface do you have.

Edited by warriorscot, 08 June 2006 - 03:29 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i dont know what a graphics interface is?

If the video card i have is better than the one i put does that mean ill be able to play it decently without an upgrade?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol no you just picked a card that yes will run bf2, yours will run it allready it will just be almost unplayable and play nothing like it is supposed to, mind you BF2 isnt fantastic i wouldnt lose sleep over it not playing like it should.

What you need is at least an x700 or something similar to play it halfway decent. Graphics interface is what you plug the gfx card into to connect it to the system, its either AGP or PCI-e if you are lucky it will be PCI-e that means you have the best choice of the best and cheapest cards, AGP less lucky, if you have neither your ati 200 is better than most pci cards so stick with that.

Find out get either CPU-z or PCwizard, there is a link to cpu-z in my sig they also make pc wizard so you should get pc wizard on that link as well if you want that.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok i am starting to get the hang of this. my thing is PCI, but what is a x700? Also i think i read somewhere that if you stick another crappy video card in so you have 2 they will work as good as a good video card. Does this make any sense? Im kinda lost here... but thanks for your patience

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
x700 is another kind of gfx card, you have allready a built in x200, you dont have a dual card setup so that wouldnt work you need a different kind of specific setup for dual gfx cards.

PCI or PCI-e, in your case are all your interfaces the same length or do you have one at the bottom(middle of the motherboard) that is longer than the others.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
they are pci-e.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its PCI-e thats good you have lots of choice you just need to pick a budget and then a card.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
do you think i can get something decent for 100$?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well youll get something that will play bf2 okay of you shop around.

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
will it be able to play newer games though, even if not as good?

is the quality of a video card determined by the memory?i noticed all of them say 64 or 256 or 512 and so on.. or is there more 2 it?

Edited by 456776, 10 June 2006 - 01:05 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
x1600pro, maybe a 7600GS or x800GTO look to be in your price range, all will play bf2, the x1600 and 7600 should even play it on decent settings.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
what about 200$? What could i get with that?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could get a 7600GT or an x1800GTO something like that, although i would probably just get a x1600pro or a 7600gs as there is new card technology so you are as well just getting something to tide you over for the moment and get something better later this year or next year.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
im going to buy the x1600! thanks for the help scott! You wont hear from me for a long time because ill be playing bf2 for the next few years