Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Urgent help

• Please log in to reply

brucesprings

brucesprings

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently acquired some viruses on my computer and it has progreesively gotten worse over the last couple of days to the point now I can't even sign in and get to the desktop screen. When I click on my user account and put in my password and hit enter it kicks me back out to the same sign in scrreen again. I tried booting it up in safe mode and no luck there either, same thing . Any help would be appreciated . My wife is going to kill me since I had just down loaded graduation pictues and didn't save them on the camera only to the PC and didn't send them to be processed yet.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi brucesprings...

Can you boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

Restart your computer, and then tap F8 during the initial startup. At the options screen, choose to start your computer in "Safe Mode with a command prompt".

Type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the command prompt, and then press "Enter"...Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state. Go back to the most recent restore point where the computer started.

If you are able to do this, get the pictures saved to removable media first off.

Let us know how you fare...

wannabe1

brucesprings

brucesprings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I booted up and selected safe mode with command prompt it still took me to the regular sign on screen with all the users listed. I'm assuming that the screen I need is a black one with (cmd) listed and then be able to type that command after it.Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this a branded machine like Dell or HP? Do you have the XP installation CD?

brucesprings

brucesprings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tis a Sony and it came with application recovery and system recovery CD'S . But if I used those wouldn't I lose evrything on my system/

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Precisely why I asked if yours was a branded machine...recovery cd's will often wipe the drive for you.

What is the make and model of your Sony? Does it have a floppy drive?

brucesprings

brucesprings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is about 5 years old and does have a floppy disk. It is a RX 5215

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download and create an XP Startup Disk Set as described on this Microsoft page...be sure to get the set for your installed operating system. This will require 6 floppy diskettes.

Start your machine using these disks and boot into Recovery Console as described HERE...starting at "How to use the Recovery Console".

Once at the command prompt in Recovery Console, type chkdsk /r (note the space before /r), and press "Enter". Allow it to run on the next reboot. Reboot.

If this runs, it will take a while...be patient. It may appear to start over a few times...this is normal when it finds a problem.

brucesprings

brucesprings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
How do you get your system to recognize the floppys as the the start up disk? Do you have to change your start up disk in the bios screen to floppy disk?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll have to set the boot priority in BIOS so the floppy is looked at before the HDD. I'd set it so CD-ROM is first, floppy is second, and HDD is third.

Note: When these floppies boot the machine, it's going to look like it's installing windows...it's actually not so continue to load all 6 floppies and enter the Recovery Console then given the option.

brucesprings

brucesprings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your help,So first I should change the bios then have floppy 1 in the floppy drive and then after installing all 6 floppies I get to a setup screen and I choose recovery console and then which command should I choose to get back into my system?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Refer to post #8. Once you have completed that, if the operation works, it should boot to Windows...if not, let me know and we'll try something else.

brucesprings

brucesprings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried the restore over the weekend but kept on getting a message when I typed in chkdsk /r that I needed to type in the path to autocheck.exe and couldn't figure that out and gave up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autochk.exe