Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro Startup error message

• Please log in to reply

marsheljr

marsheljr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is for my daughter, she has XP Pro on her desktop, about 2 or 3 years old. Yesterday when she tried to start XP, a message came up saying she had a counterfeit copy and would have to pay $199 to get it authenticated. She has broadband. Is this a scam?? What can she do?
Marsheljr

Advertisements

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
Run this at: http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=52012
Press Copy to clipboard and post the results here. This will tell us exactly what's up with your copy. And then we can go from there.

marsheljr

marsheljr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you, will let you know what I find
Marshel560
addendum
Ran program on MY COMPUTER, works fine. Problem is that she is in Alabama, not here in VA!
I tried program after a MS-DOS boot on my computer, won't run in DOS mode. Since her computer will not boot, what is the procedure for running the diagnostic??
Will be there on Tuesday night, so can try any suggestions then. I am really appreciative of your help, both now and previously with my computer.
I have a copy of the diagnostic to take down. She has a laptop, so I can access the net down there. Thank you again

Edited by marsheljr, 09 June 2006 - 05:54 AM.

marsheljr

marsheljr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This seems to be a programn called Windows Genuine Advantage Notification, installed automatically as an UPGRADE. Cannot be uninstalled, only way to remove is through System Restore set to a date prior to the installation. Purpose is to find +on[-Genuine " XP use. Problem is that my daughter's copy wasinstalled at the time she upgraded her computer and she has the OEM disk.
This info came from Rob Pegoraro ([email protected]) computer writer for the Washington Post, around June 8,
Marshel560