Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Script Host Error and abnormal functioning

• Please log in to reply

dcbrazik

dcbrazik

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I started up my computer this evening and received an error message under the heading Windows Script Host and a message saying "Loading your settings failed (The configuration registry key is invalid)", After this message Windows has opened with a new background, only 7 icons and when the Start button is pushed nothing happens. I tried to restart in safe mode and do a system restore, but the restore screen was blank. When I clicked on the My Computer icon to see if I had lost files another error message said that my security settings weren't allowing Active X to work and no files were displayed.
Somehow my firefox browser is working and I tried to downloading some registry cleaner demos, but the downloads aren't being placed on the desktop and there is no indication that the downloads are happening.
I don't want to have to wipe my C:/ drive clean, is there anything I can do?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi dcbrazik
What I type in blue is what you type What I put in red is what you do. eg enter in red means you press the enter key. The ^ symbol = a space
Do you have the windows me startup disk? If yes put this in the floppy drive & turn your
computer on. At the prompt type in scanreg^/fix enter
Thi should repair the registry. Once it has run remove the disk and reboot the computer.
Cheers
Peterm

dcbrazik

dcbrazik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I do not have the Windows ME startup disk and I never created one. My Bad!

I have 4 CD-Roms with the preloaded software on my Sony Vaio.
1 Application Recovery CD
1 Driver recovery CD
2 System recovery CD's

The System recovery CD only gives me 2 options when it's started, either delete all of C: only or delete C: & D:

I tried to create a startup disk, but I can't open the settings (due to an inactive Start button) and the link to create one from the help and support page doesn't work.

What should I try next?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok go to www.bootdisk.com and download an ME start up disk
or
We can try starting your computer buy holding down the ctrl key when you turn it on
this should give you the option for a command prompt. Choose command prompt then
run the scanreg

Edited by peterm, 09 June 2006 - 06:17 PM.

dcbrazik

dcbrazik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I went to my neighbors and got a bootdisk that starts me at a command prompt, finally! I typed the scanreg /fix and it comes back with "bad command or file name". I tried this same command at the A:/ prompt, the C:/ prompt and the D:/ prompt all with the same result.
What would you suggest I do? Is it time to just clean it and do a system restore?

2nd question-
If I went out and purchased the Windows XP upgrade program, would I lose any files or programs that are currently locked up, or would that help fix the current registry problem? I feel the ME program is unreliable and outdated. What's your opinion about that?

Edited by dcbrazik, 10 June 2006 - 03:24 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
At the c: try C:>scanreg^/restore enter
If no luck
Since you have firefox go to Tools>options>download
change the path on the download via the browse button to download to the desktop.
In my sig there is a link to tune up trial download this program and then run
the registry cleaner in the cleanup and repair tab

dcbrazik

dcbrazik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran the registry cleaner. It found 509 problems, fixed them all, rechecked, fixed those and no more problems found. I restarted the computer and the same Windows Script Host error was waiting to greet me.

Anything else?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
did you try the scanreg /restore
this one should give you a list of when the computer started without any problems. Take one that is near the oldest.
if no good try scanreg^/option
if no good try scanreg.exe

Was the startup disk you got from your friend an ME startup disk ?

Edited by peterm, 11 June 2006 - 02:46 AM.

dcbrazik

dcbrazik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
All is well

Thanks so much for your help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Was it one of mine that got you going ?

dcbrazik

dcbrazik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was finally able to obtain a true ME startup disk and not just a startup disk to an MS-DOS prompt which is what I was trying the first time when I was getting the bad command or file name messages.

The scanreg /fix command didn't work, but the restore command took me back to before the problem and like I said before All is well.

I can't thank you enough for your help.