Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is so slow!

• Please log in to reply

AlphaJav626

AlphaJav626

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I'm not sure if you guys can help me with this problem, but you have been a big help in the past with spyware.
My problem is that my computer is going so slow, it never used to be this bad but recently every time I play a game online it starts off pretty good but gets slower and slower the more i play it. I don't know what to do, I have a good computer, it's a dell dimension 4550 with a 2.54 ghz processor, 768 mb of ram, and I have 45 gb of free space out of 60 gb. I give up, what should i do? :whistling:

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, when the last time you ran disk cleanup?
click start, all porgrams, accessories, system tools, cleanup

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Hello, and welcome back. Like 4238dwight said, a disk clean up is a good place to start, but let's also do a general tune up.

Click on Start > Run, type prefetch then press enter, in the edit menu, click select all, right click any file then click delete, and confirm the delete.

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools to run Disc Cleanup, then from System Tools, run Disk Defragmenter.

Click on Start > Run, type sfc /scannow (note the space) then press enter, you will need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar. When this finished, reboot.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

If after all that, you are still experiencing slowdowns, let me know and we'll see what else we can do.

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Click on Start > Run, type prefetch then press enter, in the edit menu, click select all, right click any file then click delete, and confirm the delete.

When I try that, I get an error that the file doesn't excist.

ONTOPIC:

What games you play.
Sometimes when people play Doom3 on Dell's, the systems get very warm and because of that, they slow down.
It's also a possibility that you should defrag your harddisk, as fructose forgot to mention.

Start > Run, type "defrag C:/" without the quotes.

Your pc will show a dos screen, don't pay attention to it, but don't close it either.
The dos screen let's you know when it's done.
Or if you want the GUI version of it:

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System tools -> Defrag (or something simmilar, I'm not using a shell since 2 months, so I forgot how the sequence was ^_^.)

To close down the Dos version, use CTRL+C while the screen is on top.

I hope I was a help to you.

Edited by IO-error, 09 June 2006 - 03:50 AM.

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Try navigating to C:/Windows/Prefetch instead.

Check what processes are running and using up the most of your CPU in task manager. Also check startup files (Start > run > msconfig). During gameplay, make sure all nonessential processes are running by terminating them in task manager.

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Are those files holding the default ram for each program with their name?
Like spoolsv.exe-*some number*.pf.
That file is holding the default ram for spoolsv.exe? Or the current ram?

Could the prefetch methode be the cause for slow booting? Like 5-6 seconds of boot-delay at the Welcome screen?

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Windows will store parts of the most commonly run programs on your computer to speed up loading. Sometimes this folder gets a little full, or the prefetch files are bad. Cleaning it out won't hurt anything, and can help fix some problems.

IO-error, I mentioned Disk Defragmenter on the thrid line in my reply, but still good advice. :whistling:

Deciding which process you can/should terminate can be daunting to the inexperienced. Try looking at AnswersThatWork for more information about your running processes. AnswersThatWork is a good place to start for someone who doesn't know what to do. Also Google is a great resource for a program that you don't recognize. Just type the name in and search.

Finally, to see what programs are running, you can get a little program called Startup Control Panel to see what's working under the hood.

But back to AlphaJav626, have you had a chance to do all that? Any chance in your performance?