Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOLVED: inserting music cd causes instant reboot

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
When I insert a music CD into my optical drive it reboots the computer instantly, regardless of what it is doing at the time.

Other types of files seem to be OK but .cda produce this phenomenon.

Any ideas?

Edited by digikiwi, 12 June 2006 - 05:44 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I found this at m$. Take a look and see if it helps. http://support.micro...kb/321641/en-us

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks Austin0 O,
On furhter attempts to replicate the problem I found the cause to be Itunes. I am updating now and hope this will sort the problem.

Digikiwi

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Bugger! I updated to the latest Itunes and it still does it. If Itunes is running and I insert a music CD with .cda it reboots instantly without so much as a by your leave...

I can access the disk normally when itunes isn't on, and play it with other media players. In installing the update I didn't set itunes as the default audio player which it had been previously but this made no difference.

What do y'all think. Malware? Corrupt file? Rootkit? It actually doesn't seem like a hardware problem so much, does it?

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I have one CD in particular that I can't rip the last track onto my computer. I can rip the whole CD, but when it reaches the last track my whole system shuts down. I tried several times and with different ripping programs. Nothing worked so I just gave up. Still puzzles me though that I can't rip that one track. Why would it shut down my computer? Oh well...

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
digikiwi
I am inclined to agree, does not appear to be hardware. You have identified the guilty program. That is a great start. You can remove it from start up so it is not running in the background. Launch it what you want to use it and otherwise, shut it down when not needed.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I fixed it eventually. The culprit was most likely Alcohol 120% and or Daemon tools, as the system minidump identified a driver: Vax3475.sys as causing issues. The link below detailed a registry tweak which provided the fix.

http://docs.info.app...l?artnum=302976

Hope this helps someone

Digikiwi

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
That's great! Thanks for posting the fix. This could help others who are trying to solve the same problem.