Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't start my computer unless its in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

agnwstos

agnwstos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there. im using windows XP and cannot get my computer to work in normal mode. The screen goes to the loading page and just stays there.

any help will be appreciated

Advertisements

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Check what programs are loading up with your Windows by going to start > run and typing 'msconfig' (without quotes).

Or start > run and type 'regedit' (without quotes), then navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/RUN.

Delete any unwanted entries from either.

Edited by imafool4u, 09 June 2006 - 03:32 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start by re-installing the video adapter drivers

You can use another PC to download this, or your PC may start using safe mode with networking if you keep tapping F8 as it boots and select that

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

You may also be able to click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager to see what is shown when you click + for display adapters

agnwstos

agnwstos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks alot you guys. I'll let you know of any progress

agnwstos

agnwstos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey there my display card is a geforce4 440 go 64m. which drives do i have to download?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Driver Installation Hints

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Download and save the new drivers before uninstalling the existing ones

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

Click download this version

http://www.filehippo..._forceware/?951

agnwstos

agnwstos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Problem solved. Thanks alot you guys. I dont i would have been able to carry on living without my computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know