Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC problems statistics

• Please log in to reply

gruimed

gruimed

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm looking for an information about PC problems. Statistics actually, but any other information (such as most common problems without exact statistics) would be great too.

After days of googling I could not find any. Maybe somebody ever saw something on the subject ?

Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Users are the biggest PC problem 90% of problems usually come back to the user at some point.

gruimed

gruimed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, yeah... and 100% of computer problems usually come back to the computer at some point...

I was asking about problems, not what caused the problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could try this marvelous invention called google....it may not be easy to find the search phrase you'll need for getting the proper results...but i'm sure this information has been compiled somewhere

gruimed

gruimed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

you could try this marvelous invention called google....it may not be easy to find the search phrase you'll need for getting the proper results...but i'm sure this information has been compiled somewhere

Can't you read english ? I've spent days googling for this information.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can't you speak civilly? we're not here to do your homework....i don't know of too many people here who spend their day calculating statistics and compiling this data....fortunately for those who ARE doing homework...some people on the planet DO in fact do this for a living...unfortunately it's up to YOU to find these people...i think you'll find that if you're a bit less abrasive with your approach to asking for help..that you'll get better results...

gruimed

gruimed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I asked a simple and clearly stated question. If you don't have a clue on the subject (which is ok, most people including myself don't) - why can't you just ignore it ?

Are you answering all the posts on this forum you know nothing about with meaningless comments ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not gonna get into an arguement here because it's not worth it but..

the first response to this thread by scot was a valid response...THE MAJORITY of computer problems...IS the user (the user is also the cause of most other computer problems) but the user can also be concidered the problem...more to the point...the user's inexperience with computers....THE largest problem facing computers today is the uneducated user who doesn't know what they are doing with the contraption because they're so easy to get and use (generally)...so you could extrapolate that IF the main cause for computer problems is missuse...then wouldn't the MAIN computer problem be user inexperience?

MY first post..was maybe a little bit in error as i hadn't caught where you said you had googled...but aside from a slight bit of sarcasm....my post was pretty civil...

your following posts however...were not civil...

you're not gonna get an easy answer on this subject anywhere...unless you h appen to find the holy grail of statistics somewhere online....

i would be willing to wager that most of the answers you WILL get to this thread will not be able to be accepted as scientific or statistical fact as they will be assumptions based on one person's observations ( such as..."well from my experience 90% of all problems are related to malware") which cannot be accepted as statistical fact...

gruimed

gruimed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
After googling (literally) for days, I'm pretty sure this kind of information does not exist anywere on the web.

Regarding the "user" thing - please try to understand that I'm asking about facts (computer problems: hardware, OS, misconfiguration, viruses), not causes (illiterate users, buggy software, etc). The difference is a bit fuzzy, but does exist and should be obvious if you think about it.

I was not expecting to get precise statistics from asking users on that forum, my only hope to get something relevant is either:
1. personal user experiences (which is not objective, but is better that nothing)
2. from somebody who happens to work in support for one of the large PC manufacturers (which sure have this information but apparently do not publish it)

I'm thinking now that user poll can help, but I'm not sure which forum would be appropriate for this.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We dont colate user statistices here for problems its too much work, but if you take a moment to think "who would collate such data?" perhaps you will find the answer, they may not neccesarilly publish it but will have it.

So who would have a use for data regarding computer malfunctions.

PS in case you hadnt noticed we are pretty fussy when we get agro, we are volunteers and do this in whatever spare time we get to help people, when we get to the OT its usually the last thing we do after answering a few problems and our brains are usually noticably occupied with problem solving and user responses, so we have little patience its best to be polite at all times.

Edited by warriorscot, 09 June 2006 - 11:12 AM.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

you could try this marvelous invention called google....

hey thats not fair i got in trouble for saying that by one of the admins. :whistling:

also im not to sure if im alowed to do this but on http://discuss.pcmag...6/ShowPost.aspx there is a similar post to the main topic. (if this post not appropiet plz remove it)

Edited by daniel_c, 13 June 2006 - 12:09 AM.