Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cost Effective Gaming Laptop?

• Please log in to reply

gopherjpmp

gopherjpmp

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Is this even possible or available?

even if not cost effective, is there a good gaming laptop? one that could play say bf2 or such?

I want a laptop for travel, but would love for it to handle games so I can replace my desktop as well.

I love FPS games (sof2, quake series, etc.) and mmorpg (waiting for v:soh atm)

gopher

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Gaming laptops, yes you can get them, they arent ideal no where close to a desktop and cant be upgraded, but you can get them.

They arent ideal for travelling though battery life is non existent on them because they usually use very powerful hardware that sucks power.

Dell, Alienwarem, Acer etc. make them they cost alot though.

Often you find its cheaper to get a proper travelling laptop with good battery life for working on and then get a desktop for gaming as desktops are much more cost effective. A good gaming desktop can be had for £1000, a good gaming lucky can easily go to £3000 and not be as good as the desktop.

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Gaming laptops are expensive, I know, I bought one. Unless you are stranded somewhere where a desktop is not feasable, dont get a notebook. Alienware laptops are good if you need a laptop, they can be upgraded, limitedly, ie; ram, hdd, video card, but no processer upgrade, well not that that easly. The other parts are very easy, I have upgraded or replaced all three in the last year, very simple. But very expensive.

gopherjpmp

gopherjpmp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
looks like i'll stick with desktop gaming! Now its just a waiting game really. There are no FPS games that I feel I NEED, and really just waiting on vanguard:soh…

any other real good sites like www.pricewatch.com for comparing prices? I am finding out that it is almost cheaper to go with a named brand high end then building my own anymore :\

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I rarely find that, you get more in a high end self build than a bought one, the bought ones rarely use the same parts quality which is where on occasion ive found cheaper pre builts but if you use cheaper parts then you can get around that not that you want cheap parts.

Most builders pay the same you do at least custom do, and no big builder ive seen makes PCs as what i would put in them and if they do they cost more.

Named brand and high end dont go together they almost always let it down on something. I like Kelkoo for prices they seem to be the best for hardware, pricerunner is also allrght i tend to just check around a few places though that i know are cheap and reliable i like to know who im dealing with.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Desktops are by far better for gaming. like every1s already said you cant upgrade laptops easy. Second most laptops dont get that high fps unless you are willing to spend alot of money. first person shooters are much harder to play if you dont have a seperate mouse . Most laptops are slow with not much RAM or expansion ports.

Edited by rumble291, 17 June 2006 - 04:55 PM.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
ur title does not compute. u cant have a gaming laptop and be cost effective. good gaming laptops cost like 2K from what i seen.