Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Partitioning Virgin

• Please log in to reply

cITrUS38

cITrUS38

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have never done this before, but I have been told it will be a good thing to do.. so I decided to venture forward and try to partition my hard drive but I am finding it more difficult than I first thought so if anyone can help me with instructions (step by step preferred) I would love you forever.

First I have tried to partition my hard drive using Partition Magic, which I have only found the demo versions. If I had the full version would it work or is there a better way?

I have a Systemax 2.4 gig processor, 256 ram, 40 hard drive laptop running on Windows XP.

I would love to keep my hair in my head so help would be soooo appreciated! :tazz:

Advertisements

betterwork

betterwork

• Pip
  • 8 posts
If you want to erase what you have on the harddrive already you can get a program called fdisk, just download a win98 boot disk and put it on a floppy then reboot the computer and you can create partitions. You must then format the partitions for windows use however into ntfs or fat32 file system.. If you have a fat32 file system you could use a free program called Fips which is available on the internet this also goes onto a bootable floppy disk. You could also use partition magic this is self explanatory though so I don't really know what the problem is..

petedageek

petedageek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I'm not sure I understand why you want to partition your hard drive.

Since you are using Win XP and I will presume that this was a factory instal you probably have NTFS as your filing system
Do not fdisk unless you are ready to lose everything on your hard drive.
XP has a built in abilty to partition, although on a 40 gig drive its hardly worth it.
For windows systems go to your controll panel hopefully you have the classic view set up and not the XP view click on the icon "Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management----->Disk Management------> Action ----> All Tasks -----> Change drive letter , partition and follow the bouncing so to speak

good luck

and yes partiction magic does work very nicely

petedageek

never know my limits until I exceed them