Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Shut Down

• Please log in to reply

mstlelc

mstlelc

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
In XP, when I click Start, Turn Off Computer, the Stand By/Turn Off/Restart screen takes about 2 minutes to show up before I can shut it down, then it will take a long time again to turn off completely.

When I open the Windows Task Manager and terminate the Image Name SVCHOST.EXE, User Name NETWORK SERVICE, it works fine again. It will however bring up a warning box telling me that the system is shutting down. I created a small batch file on my desktop to combat this, programming the command SHUTDOWN -A. This shutdown problem only happens after the computer has been on for 10-15 minutes. If I turn the computer on, then use it for just a few minutes then shut it off again, it will work like normal but if I turn it on, walk away for a half hour then shut it down without opening any programs, it won't do it properly.

I built this computer back in 1998 but have upgraded several times. The most recent was a few months ago when I changed the motherboard, processor & RAM. This is when the issue started. Everything else works fine on the computer.

Please let me know how I should proceed.

Thank you!

Edited by mstlelc, 09 June 2006 - 12:44 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you rebuilt it, did it get a fresh windows install?

Shutting down svchost implies there is something using the connection...

do you have network drives? p2p sharing programs running?

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

No, it was not a fresh install. I used my existing hard drive and when I booted for the first time I had to reinstall XP then SP2 thereafter. Everything seems fine except for the slow shut down.

Why can I shut it down w/o any problems within the first 10-15 minutes or so and thereafter, without touching the computer, it stalls?

I have 2 hard drives, my main and a slave I use for backups and pictures. I'm unsure about the p2p sharing programs.

How can I copy & forward what's running so you can see?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
see hijackthis in my signature

attach the log, do not post

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Here is the hijackthis.log.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You did not attach the log. Make sure you save it as a a TEXT file, and not a log file.

Log files (th default) do not attach

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Sorry, here it is.

Attached Files

Edited by mstlelc, 19 June 2006 - 04:54 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What is Spyware Nuker

You should know version 1 of this program was identified as rogue antispyware

what is shutdown.bat

My first inclination is that your firewall has gone bad--zonealarm does tend to get crapped up....I would be curious how things work without it

In the meantime

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the error, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
What is Spyware Nuker?

"Version 1 of Spyware Nuker had a deservedly poor reputation. It was a clone of BPS Spyware & Adware Remover, which itself is a rip-off of Ad-aware (1, 2) and Spybot Search & Destroy (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Moreover, it was prone to ridiculous false positives, like the other clones of BPS Spyware & Adware Remover. (Contrary to allegations on the Net, no version of SpywareNuker or pcOrion, so far as we can tell, has itself installed adware or spyware.)
In the late spring or early summer of 2004, TrekBlue released a new version of SpywareNuker (version 2, also known as SpywareNuker 2004) which is not built on the codebase licensed from BPS (1). Testing with this new version -- also released under the name pcOrion -- indicates that it does detect and remove spyware and adware. Moreover it is not prone to inexcusable false positives, as its predecessor was. Thus, the new SpywareNuker 2004 is a significant improvement on the justly discredited original version of SpywareNuker. Still further, the objectionable advertising on the pcOrion home page has been removed, and TrekBlue/TrekData has taken steps to clarify the history of its relationship with BlueHaven, which is no longer a TrekBlue/TrekData company. (1, 2)
Given that the issues surrounding Spyware Nuker and pcOrion have been addressed by the TrekBlue/TrekData, we can no longer consider Spyware Nuker or pcOrion to be "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware."

What is shutdown.bat?

When I open the Windows Task Manager and terminate the Image Name SVCHOST.EXE, User Name NETWORK SERVICE, it works fine again. It will however bring up a warning box telling me that the system is shutting down. I created a small batch file on my desktop to combat this, SHUTDOWN.BAT, programming the command SHUTDOWN -A.

My first inclination is that your firewall has gone bad--zonealarm does tend to get crapped up....I would be curious how things work without it.

The computer operates the same with or without Zone Alarm.

Regarding msconfig:

I have isolated the problem to the LOAD SYSTEM SERVICES section, however I'm encountering problems. I can recheck all but Volume Shadow Copy OR Windows Time OR Web Client OR Windows Mgmt Inst and the computer will run but will be a slow shut down. As I check any one of these last services, upon restart, the computer will shut down automatically. I again started the process over and over within this Load System Services category and the computer will shut down for various combinations of services that are checked. When I enable all of them the computer will not shut down but I still have the same slow shut down issue. My guess is that the computer cannot function with some of the services checked while others that are important to that specific service are unchecked therefore aborting the system altogether.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by mstlelc, 24 June 2006 - 08:49 PM.

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Also, here are the processes running in the LOAD SYSTEM SERVICES section attached as screen shots in a PDF.

Attached Files

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Shut down

Restart

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

Also, if you see Userenv, then download and install this
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Plenty of errors. I saved them as text files which are attached. I did not find Userenv.

When you open the attached file called gerryf-system.txt, there is an Error (the fourth one down) dated 06/24/2006 at 11:32:00 PM called DCOM, None, 10010, SYSTEM, MSTLELC, which was the time I was trying to shut off my computer that night.

Attached Files

Edited by mstlelc, 25 June 2006 - 05:08 PM.

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I ran chkdsk after the computer was on for a while and attached is the error in pdf format of what came up.

Attached Files

mstlelc

mstlelc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
What's my next move???

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
cmd
<enter>

in the box, type

chkdsk/r
<enter>
say yes, and reboot

this will fix drive errors

--------------------------------

many of those errors are fairly common and not likely to cause this issue. Many times, event viewer logs and error, but then the error clears itself (for example, xxx service did not start in the alloted time, but then it starts)

double click the DCOM error you referenced and post that info here (press the COPY button that looks like two books)