Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vanishing Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
This new red computer is about worthless with these two IE problems. If they should be addressed in separate post please let me know. Problem #1 is that everytime I open a new IE window it completly closes the one I'm on. Say I'm on this site and see a word or phrase I want to look up, I click the blue E in the lower right quick launch to open google and look it up and the PC completly closes the exiting IE window I'm in. It's only able to have one IE window running at a time. Virtually impossible to toggle between here and definitions page. Another example, see something on Ebay and want to know more about the product so I highlight the name then click IE and paste it to look up the specks and it will completly close Ebay so I can't flick back and enter a bid. #2 Problem is that I often get the message that "Internet Explorer has encountered an error and will now close" below that "send or don't send" I always send. When it starts doing the second problem it will never get past that part. The only thing to do is reboot and lose everything. Some more of of your fantastic help is needed PLEASE!!! :whistling: :blink:

Edited by crunch, 09 June 2006 - 10:19 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In IE go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced

scroll down

is "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" checked or unchecked?

Uncheck it if it is

--------------2nd issue....

have you been checked for malware?

I often find this to be the case when malware is present of a corrupted ie add-on

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
:whistling: Or you could just install Mozilla Firefox. Sorry - I just had to get that dig in.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there are multiple problems with that suggestion--but the most key is that ie is so tightly woven into windows that not addressing a broken IE could have negative repercussions later.

I am a big fan of Mozilla as an alternative, but it is not a substitute for when IE is not working properly

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks guys, YES that box was checked!!! As far as malware I don't know for sure how to find out but I just put this red PC together last saturday so it's not been around very long to get anything, (but maybe?) After the BIOS flash then installed the OS then went to downloads.com and installed AVG free, Spybot, Spyblaster, Ad-aware, CCleaner, TweakNow, then K-Lite codec from KL for playing and copying DVDs, and finally Ultimate Zip. I do have Firefox on a few of our PCs, I never even thought about that. I think you are right though that a problem needs fixed first. Odd how every time my son and I put one together and install a new OS that they turn out with so many different settings so that we never have the same problem twice. You guys are FANTASTIC HELP!!! Does microsoft constantly make little changes or is it our variety of motherboards? I shall run with the new setting change and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Edited by crunch, 09 June 2006 - 10:29 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it's always a moving target

the interaction between various programs and windows is always a challenge when it comes to stability

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
DANG!!! Both problems are still persisting this morning!!! Click on the "blue E" while on this site and the IE window closed this widow completely then tried to reopen it and got the error message so I had to reboot to get back here. Please CONTINUE with your help.. Between you and Aaron three problems have gone or become understandable. But definantly got to get this one to stop closeing current IE when trying to view something else. And frequently rebooting to press on in a quest. Thank you.

Edited by crunch, 10 June 2006 - 10:34 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have the Yahoo Toolbar installed, uninstall it and see if the problem still persists with the IE window closing when you try to open another IE window.

Fenor

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
No yahoo upthere checked (edit, veiw, tools) no sign of it on this "red" one. Please continue. :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. In the new window that appears, double-click on ADD & REMOVE PROGRAMS. Look in the list for any items starting with Yahoo, and also any items with the word TOOLBAR in them. List any found in your reply.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 10 June 2006 - 11:25 AM.

Advertisements

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
YES!!! The very last thing was Yahoo Toolbar! Should I remove it , I think that's where you are headed but will wait for you to reply. That was the only toolbar on this new red PC listed. But there is two or three on my others (PCs), I'm thinking they should be eliminated also. I guess I should leave the others out of this post, just curious though. Thanks again for your persistance! :whistling:

street1

street1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
:whistling: :blink: Hey crunch I found you.Try internet explorer repair.Oh yes hello to your
son too. Robert

http://support.micro...spx?kbid=318378

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes remove Yahoo Toolbar, from what I have researched, people who had the exact same problem as you are having solved it by removing the Yahoo Toolbar.

Remove it and let me know how things are going. You should reboot after uninstalling it and then test out IE and see if the problem persists.

Fenor

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Street1, I don't know where you really are but it's great to see an old friend on this great site. You got to check out the live chat and meet some of the fine folks there in the evenings. Probably all the time but I'm only on at night. Fenor, I'm removing Yahoo now from them all. I'll give that a try and report back... Thanks alot again.

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Fenor, Awsome, absolutly fantastic. Problem solved as far as I can tell. For the first time I have been able to look something else up and click right back to where I was!!!! Thanks so much!!! :whistling: :blink: :help: