Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

High CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply

mace519

mace519

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
P4 3.0 ghz
1024 RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
120 Gb hard-drive

I recently started to get low fps in games and such, so i decided to spray my computer with compressed air. Now i try to go an play i find myself having around 10 fps. So i bought a new gfx card, i upgraded from my 9200 se, to 9800 pro.
Same thing, i am getting relativly high CPU usage and i cannot play any games. I was able to play games at 80-100 fps, but it has droped drastically.
I checked my bios, and i have noticed that my CPU core temperature is at 80-100.
My question is, did i damage anything while i sprayed my computer with compressed air, or what is my problem with the high temperature. My CPU fan is working and running. I have also reformatted since.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
What is your power supply? After upgrading your video card your computer may be under powered, causing the high temperatures and possible drastic FPS reduction.

mace519

mace519

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
350 W power supply, i also don't think its my power supply because i had this same problem when i had my 9200 se installed.

Edited by mace519, 09 June 2006 - 11:38 AM.

mace519

mace519

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It seems that i have found the problem, if you looking at the image below. That little tiny piece has broke, and the clip isn't working. I think it is because that clip added pressure onto the heatsink and to the processor, so that clip isn't working anymore. The clip was some metal piece that would attach onto that, but since its broken it won't stay on

http://img483.images...age=mobo1zo.jpg

So my question now is, how can i fix this problem?

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Get a new heatsink. Someone else literally JUST posted up having the same problem and I believe Samm said that that clip is kinda what makes the heatsink work. So you may need to invest in a new heatsink/fan for your CPU for your gaming normality to return.

mace519

mace519

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
er.... the BRACKET for the heatsink is broken, if you would look at the picture. Unless a new heatsink would come with a socket 478 Retention module bracket. That doesn't help.

Edited by mace519, 09 June 2006 - 04:28 PM.