Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformating XP

• Please log in to reply

Ursula

Ursula

• Pip
  • 7 posts
;) Hi, Hope i have posted this in the right place, I recently purchased a secondhand computer, I have found it to be riddled with p*** and viruses, friends advised on reformating, I only have the XP disc and i cant change my BIOS setting so it will boot from cd drive as i need a password but i have no way of getting it. I have never done this before but I was told to goto the C:\ (Command Prompt), once there it shows C:\Documents and Settings|Ursula> I then typed "format C:" like instructed ... "The type of the file system is NTFS." is then displayed followed by the warning "All Data on drive C: will be lost! Proceed, (Y\N)?" ... after typing y it shows, "Verifying 28654M" "Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y\N)" ... after typing y ... "Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use." is displayed. Have i gone the wrong way about this, if so please put me on the right track as i am very keen to start enjoying my computer, instead of threatening to toss it out the window. Thankyou in advance.

Ursula :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Put the XP CD in and choose install XP

neonapple

neonapple

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If you want to boot off the Windows XP CD to reformat your computer and reinstall XP you need to get into your BIOS.

When you computer boots in the upper right corner it usually says press "F12" for example to enter BIOS. - OR - Here is a link which explains step by step how to get into your BIOS for your particular computer to boot off the CD:

http://www.cyberwalk...enter-BIOS.html

Happy reformatting!
NeonApple

tlangford

tlangford

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ursula, did neonapple / keith help you with this?..I have exactly the same problem. I have changed my bios to say boot from CD, and even disabled boot from C, put in my Windows XP CD, and rebooted, but it has still not been able to work, even when I get to D:format c:/fs:ntfs

I hope someone out there can help ;) :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens after you press any key to boot from CD