Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

moving xp

• Please log in to reply

crawleycruise.co.uk

crawleycruise.co.uk

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i have 2 sata drives on my board, plus 3 normal hard drives.

My main xp pro is on my c drice which is a normal 200 gig drive.

I was hoping i can move it to one of my satas to speed it up.
can i? Someone said use the file transfier wizard?

any help?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maybe possible, but you will not likely see a speedup

Since your Windows XP install already had has the sata drivers loaded, it could be as simple as copying the image from the c: to the sata drive, and then setting the sata drive as the first boot device

You could download the trial copy of acronis true image home from www.acronis.com to do this.

Now, it MAY NOT work doing just a straight disk image like this because of the slight hardware change in the primary boot device.

You lose nothing by trying the first time

If it fails, the problem here is that you need to run a repair before the image loads the first time. The problem is that that when making the image with acronis, it needs to run a small batch file the first time you move the sata drive into the primary boot spot.

You need to run a repair before Windows starts to load the registry and I don't know if you can stop it quickly enough to get inside that window of opportunity

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
We do hard drive copies all the time. Its really easy to use a ghosting program if you have access to one. If you don't, then here is a procedure that will take longer, but will work.

1) On your current C drive open a windows explorer window and click on tools and then folder options. Set it to shoe hidden and system files

2) Next install a fresh installation of Windows to your target SATA drive

3) Now move all files (preserving the file structure) from your old C drive to the SATA drive *note* you will need to be booted from a third hard drive to do this

4) Run a Windows XP repair installation on the SATA drive.

That should do it! Good Luck!

crawleycruise.co.uk

crawleycruise.co.uk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i ll look into this on sunday cheers