Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build: Video Editing & Gaming

• Please log in to reply

sdcc633

sdcc633

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just bought an Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core Processor ($114) and plan on building a video editing/ (some) gaming computer. I will be reusing my 80 gig HD (7200 rpm). I plan to overclock the CPU. What I am looking for is some recommendations [case, motherboard, CPU cooler, Ram, HDs-raid 0?,DVD burner, graphics card(s), etc.] for this build that would make a screamer. What would you'all recommend?

Thanks.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Get a case that cools well. I know that Warrior will come in with better suggestions but I like my Aspire because it's got a lot of fans and a lot of room for airflow.

For RAM, if you can get at LEAST 1 gig if not 2 gigs from Crucial or Corsair, XMS or the like. The high quality stuff will help in video editing. For Hard Drives I would get a much bigger hard drive personally. I know that videos take a lot of space as do games. I (which I've found incredibly useful) have a dual drive configuration. A Sony DVD-R and a LiteOn DVD-+RW combo drive.

In terms of graphics card, if this computer can wait, then wait. DirectX 10 cards are coming out soon and they will be up to date. If you go with a great card now, it will be outdated in a month or so. I would suggest (if you can't wait) a ATI Radeon X1800XT or X1900XT if you can afford it.

In terms of cooling AND keeping the beast quiet, I often refer back to:
http://www.maximumpc...o_make_you.html
I use it when looking for fans/CPU coolers and the like. The article has suggestions for things that keep your computer cool and quiet at the same time.