Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Colours

• Please log in to reply

paulrussell

paulrussell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have just inherited a fairly old PC and have loaded up W98 for my young son but the number of colours is stuck on 16 and can't be changed. I haven't a clue which motherboard it is, nor do I have a disk for it but the graphics are built in, as is the sound. It is running a Pentium lll 667 Mhz chip. I also would like to change the refresh rate as it is flickering too much.

Any help much appreciated.

Paul

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If it's an old PC the graphics chip most likely has only sufficient memory for 16-colours. You have two choices:

1. On-board graphics often use system RAM which means it can sometimes be configured to use more RAM in the BIOS setup configuration. The downside here is that you'll leave less RAM to run the operating system and programs, and there may not be much of it to start with.

2. Fit a new PCI graphics card with at least 8MB video -ram (if it's a very old PC it may only have ISA slots (no PCI) and ISA graphics cards are as rare as hen's teeth today. Even PCI one's are disappearing fast . I would think a little 'one-off' PC shop is your best bet, or mail order/internet.