Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP & 98 Networking, Help with File/Printer Sharing.(THERE IS MORE

• Please log in to reply

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hi,
I'm useing a 5port Swich. I'm a 98 with an XP and the Computers can see each other, but you can not see the other computer's shared files!

They are wired with new network wires! I'm also trying to shere the internet use in the XP.

If you need any more info please post and PLEASE please help me!

Edited by Listerofsmeg, 11 June 2006 - 01:21 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you run the Network setup wizard from xp on the 98
To start the Network Setup Wizard

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Start the Network Setup Wizard

Follow the instructions on your screen.

Important
• Before running the Network Setup Wizard, make sure your network hardware is installed and working properly on all of the computers on your network.

• Before running the Network Setup Wizard on computers running Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium Edition, make sure Internet Connection Sharing is disabled on these computers.

Top of page
Note
• To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections. Under Common Tasks, click Network Setup Wizard.

• Run the Network Setup Wizard on the host computer first. The host computer is the one that will share its Internet connection.

• During the Network Setup Wizard, it is recommended that you create a floppy disk to run the Network Setup Wizard on Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium computers on your network.

• The Network Setup Wizard can only be run on computers using Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows XP.

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Done it allready!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Helping the user in chat peterm. Will post in here what we have done and whether or not the problem is concluded afterwards.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Peterm,

Okay, since he is using a switch, we had him manually set IP addresses. The IP of the XP machine is 192.168.1.101 and the 98 machine is 192.168.1.102. Both have subnet masks of 255.255.255.0 Client for MS Networks is installed on 98 machine. User checked and both machines are in the same workgroup. Disabled the XP firewall for now for testing purposes to rule it out as a cause. He states that he only has Avast! installed and not any other software firewall programs.

After all of this he still can't ping either machine. You're up peterm because I'm out of ideas.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 June 2006 - 06:47 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
The way you are trying to connect to the internet via the xp machine means if you want to use the 98 on the internet you have to have the xp machine turned on.

I have my dsl modem plugged in to the switch then I have my other computers plugged into the switch this way I have access to the internet from any computer.( I assume you are using an external modem) I would not set a static ip I would use DHCP. Plug the modem into the uplink port
then the other cables into the other ports the up link port normally has a little switch next to it. Make sure your cables are not cross over cables as you do not use them with a switch. If you do not have an external modem then let me know. The reason I say to use DHCP is that way your modem will give out the IP address
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 09 June 2006 - 08:53 PM.

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I have a SpeedSteam DSL Mod. The Swich is a -Surecom EP-805SX-C

I have the XP on always! The 98 is more likey to be off!

I have to shere files and play miltiplayer games!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok plug the modem in to the switch
then plug both computers into the switch change both computers to DHCP then reboot. You said you have run the XP cd on the 98 machine did you do it from the cd or floppy.
Once you have wired and changed to DHCP try a ping from 98 to xp

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Nothing Working, but i'm still working on it!

Edited by Listerofsmeg, 11 June 2006 - 01:19 AM.

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
On the 98 it frezes when it is rebooting after the Wizard!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
You asked before what is DHCP this is set in the same place that Fenor showed you to set the static IP on the 98 machine right click on
Network neighborhood > Propertities>listed in there you should have TCPIP listed for you network card. Highlight TCPIP click on properties click on the ip address tab then click on the obtain an ip address automatically. click ok then ok again. Do the same on the xp machine

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I, in the end, isntalled winxp on the win98.

Thank-you to everyone whop helped out!