Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb 2.0 after reformat

• Please log in to reply

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Okay guys quick problem that I just cannot figure out! I just finished reinstaling XP and I have applied all updates from Microsoft aswell as SP2, but for some reason my USB 2.0 external hard drives are performing like they are still using USB 1.1. Now weird thing is I do not get any error messages when I plug the drives into their USB ports, like for example saying that "this device would perform at USB 2.0 speeds if it was installed" or whatever.

What do you think the problem is? In the tray it will usually show, for example, for my 2 external drives G:\ and H:\ in the remove hardware. Seeking is also slow when I try to access the hard drives from explorer.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Check the device manager. Do any devices have a ? or !. If so google the name of the driver and find an updated driver.

ajcool123

ajcool123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hey man.

No that is the weird thing, everything seems to be installed correctly I'm just not seeking very fast on the hard drives. Definitely seems like USB 1.1 speeds. Any other suggestions?

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
So speed is the only thing that's making you think this?
I'm not so sure but maybe its not a problem with your USB, maybe your RAM or something?

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
What about your Drivers for your USB ports?

Try that!

ajcool123

ajcool123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
:whistling: Hmm this is just odd. I doubt that because it was working correctly before the reformat. What exactly should my Universal Serial Bus controllers look like in the device manager? I have a "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB controller" and a few others but nothing that says 2.0.

0vermind

0vermind

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Are the drivers update to date that could be a probelm if there not.

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Just Google your hardware and update them.

ajcool123

ajcool123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I don't know what you mean drivers. USB 2.0 is supposed to be plug and play.

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yes, but the PCI-USB driver may need to be updated!

Edited by Listerofsmeg, 09 June 2006 - 05:45 PM.

Advertisements

ajcool123

ajcool123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hm okay where might I go update said driver? Dunno what type of PCI to USB it is.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download install and run Everest Home Edition, which you can download using the link in my signature. Once you have it running, click on REPORT and the Report Wizard should run. When you come to the REPORT PROFILES page of the wizard, make sure you have radio button next to System Summary Only selected. Then click NEXT, you can leave HTML selected and click FINISH. The report will then be generated and a new window will appear. In this new window that appears, click SAVE TO FILE and save the report as REPORT.HTM somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Please ATTACH this file to your reply.

Fenor

ajcool123

ajcool123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hey Fenor, thanks man let me know what you see. :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
SWEET BOARD!! Exact same one I have and it runs like a champ!! :whistling: :blink:

What you should do is install the chipset drivers for your motherboard. I will give a link to it in a minute or two, so hang around. :help:

Fenor

*EDIT* Just noticed you have the exact same processor as well. :)

Edited by Fenor, 09 June 2006 - 08:22 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can download your chipset drivers from HERE.

Fenor