Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb 2.0 after reformat

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One thing I would like to point out, is that you are very low on storage space on drive's H and I. They only have 1% and 5% free, respectively. Is one of these your external hard drive or is it like a card reader or something? If it is the external hard drive in question, then that could explain your speed issue. It would run very slow if it was that full.

Fenor

Advertisements

ajcool123

ajcool123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hey bro sweet we have the same setup :blink: yes basically it comes down to the external hard drives that are acting slow. Now the only real problem I have tons of albums on them but as I recall before the reinstall they listed a little faster. now here is something interesting i sorta just figured out.

once i open the hard drive in explorer it takes like 15-20 seconds to list with the spinning hour glass before it shows the contents of the drive. however if i close out of explorer and say, reopen it, the drive lists like that. now i wonder if it has some sort of cache thing where it can list quickly once it is opened for the first time.

however if i leave the comp for a few hours then come back to it i have to "re cache" the drive again because it doesn't open as quickly.

understand what i mean? heh

also about the mobo, what bios version do you have. i have been thinking about upgrading to the 1016 right now im at 1013.

thanks man! :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If your hard drive's are nearly full like I think they are, then that is part of the problem why they open so slowly initially. I would recommend you delete stuff in there so that you have AT LEAST 30% free on both drives. Then defrag the drives and see how things go.

As for the motherboard question, I just upgraded to version 1014, since that is the latest official BIOS listed on the asus website. I notice we don't have the exact same mobo, you have the deluxe verison while I don't. 1016 is the latest verison for your motherboard. Download the BIOS from the Asus website and then use the AsusUpdate program that you can install from the CD that came with the motherboard. It's very easy to use.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 10 June 2006 - 07:06 AM.