Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

x1900 xtx questions/problems

• Please log in to reply

red_ beard

red_ beard

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently picked up the x1900 xtx card. I needed to upgrade the motherboard to a pci-e slot since I previously had a geforce 6600 agp. After this change I had expected to see some major improvements in my graphics to fps. This hasnt been the case. In games like Oblivion I am seeing a 10 to 20 improvement in FPS which has made the game playable. But in Counter Strike Source (my major addiction) I have actually seen loss.

If I turn graphics way up with 6600 agp................horrible fps (20-50)
If I turn graphics down with 6600 agp...................very good fps (60-120)

If I turn graphics way up with x1900 xtx................good fps (40-140) [notice the increased ranged?]
If I turn graphics down with x1900 xtx...................good fps (40-140) [notice no change over high grahics]

Both setups upsed the same 3700+ processor and the same ram and a 650 watt pwrsuply

the geforce used an asus kv8 deluxe mobio
the x1900xtx uses an abit nv8 mobo

I dont understand why this card isnt flying through CSS. I have tried numerous drivers, cleaning with driver cleaner pro each time, or formating the hard drive and re-installing windows from scratch.

40 fps in a high speed shooter isnt playable for me and it certainly isnt worth the 600 bucks for this card. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Edited by red_ beard, 09 June 2006 - 07:12 PM.

Advertisements

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
What resoultion are you running, and what kind of PSU do you have?

red_ beard

red_ beard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
resolution is 1024x768
I dont know the maker of the PSU, it was more then enough wattage based on what the card called for, but it is probably a bobo brand

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Well actually, it does matter. Wattage is one aspect, but amps is another. If you're using a PCIe power connection that's built in the PSU, you should be fine power-wise. If you do have dual 12v rails, and you aren't using a PCIe power connection via the PSU, then you are not feeding enough power. On average, a PSU with 2 12v rails only supply 18A(Amps) per rail, while the X1900XTX needs around 28A on a rail. See on the side of your PSU is it says anything like 12V1 and 12V2 (meaning you have 2 12V rails). So once again, wattage is not the only thing you should look at.

Edited by FalloutYear, 09 June 2006 - 08:57 PM.

red_ beard

red_ beard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The psu does have cabling specific to pci-e cards

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Turn up your resolution new gfx cards dont work well at 1024 or below they work best at 1280 or 1600 resolutions that should help a bit, you might also try the omega drivers and ensuring AA and AF are set in catalyst to let the application decide and not manually set to on in both catalyst and the game or you get a big slow down.