Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't reinstall Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
:whistling: [b]Hi, I am in the process of formatting and trying to reinstall Windows 98 on my Compaq Armada 7400 before I sell it. When I go to reinstall the os it tells me it can't because there is a previous version on it yet. It has both a C drive and a D drive.

How can I get the drives completely cleared out so that I can reinstall Windows 98? I've done this before but I didn't have the problem that I'm having now. I sure would appreciate any help you could give me.

ferndoodle

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you boot the PC, keep tapping F8 until you got options, select command prompt only, type format c: and press enter, then type Y to confirm

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Keith,

Yes I did that but I think the files might have gone on D. I tried to reformat but I don't have any luck.

ferndoodle

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you leave just one drive in and see how format c: goes or with one drive in, use boot and nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

If you run autonuke it should clear whatever drive it finds

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Keith,

Which one should I download? Then how do I go about using it?

ferndoodle

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Either will do if you have a floppy, use that, you need a brand new, formatted floppy

http://dban.sourcefo.../faq/index.html

The installation questions deal with it and start up questions deal with running it

Let me know if those do not help

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Keith,

I followed the directions on downloading it on my hard drive and then clicking on the dban exe file in it. I tried to copy that onto a floppy but there isn't enough room even though it says you can. I don't understand how to use it.

ferndoodle

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you use the CDR version, possibly ask someone with a PC with a CD Writer if this PC does not have one