Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All normal til login then nothing appears

• Please log in to reply

ineverreinstall

ineverreinstall

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This is actually a problem that has happened already before on windows2000advancedserver (reinstalled anyway). However, this time around it is happening with ME(I hate reinstalling).

Symptoms:
1. Normal post
2. Normal boot
3. Normal Login

*4. After loggin in, the only thing displaying on the moniter is the background picture. The icons, toolbar, clock do not display, EVEN RIGHT CLICKING DOES NOT WORK. Nothing shows up, only thing that works is Alt+Ctrl+Del.

I am able to boot into safemode but the problem persists and am not able to do anything. I know that there is a solution to this problem.

My proposed solution: Boot into prompt with startup disks and run a system restore from there. I will be able to work on the PC with ME again by tue but for now that is my only proposed solution so it will either work or not. What other things can I do?
:whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ineverreinstall...

Open Task Manager, click "File" and select "New Task". Type explorer.exe and press "Enter". Do the icons and taskbar appear?

wannabe1

ineverreinstall

ineverreinstall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:whistling: After doing some research on explorer.exe, I think it will work! That PC is actually a PC a friend of mine found in the garbage. From what I remember it is an AMD DURON 800MHZ, 20GB HD, 128RAM running windows me. Since I won't be able to work on it until this tues, that is another solution I'll do with explorer.exe
If there are any other idea's, I welcome them too! I will let you know how it went.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If that gives you the explorer shell, but it doesn't stay, we'll have to do a little work in the registry to get it right. There are a few other things we can try with ME, too, depending on what you find.

ineverreinstall

ineverreinstall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi wannabe1,

Here's what happened:

I booted up into the windows me desktop with the same problem (no icons, taskpane, etc) And I remember telling you all that worked was the pop-up menu after you press Alt+Ctrl+Del. You told me to run a new task and type explorer.exe. I tried that on my XP laptop here and noticed that ending that processes does the same thing that the other computer has.

After doing Alt+Ctrl+Del on the ME, I realized that it doesn't give the option to choose the task manager and the only option was to reboot. All of this I kept in mind what you told me about the registry. I booted up with a win98 cd and choose the CD-ROM support option. When I made it to the prompt, I loaded the command tools and keeping in mind what you told me (registry, explorer.exe) I searched and saw that explorer.exe was there and not missing or anything. I then tried the registry fix cmd and PRESTO! It worked like a charm and now there's a taskpane and everything works. Here is a breakdown of how it went down step by step

1. Boot up with Windows98 CD
2. Select the option where you have CD-ROM support (may be optional, I gotta check back)
3. Once at C: prompt type in the "tool command"
C:\windows\> path=c:\windows\command
4. Type in at the C:\windows>scanreg /fix
5. Get your desktop back!

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I try to stay in the Graphical Interface in most cases so my next suggestion would have been a System Restore...which would have accomplished very much the same thing. The scanreg procedures I go to after that.

Good Job! :whistling: