Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System running v.slow ... but it's not spyware. Help!

• Please log in to reply

Matt_T

Matt_T

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi folks

I'm running a Dell Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz, 512 RAM.
I've got gigs and gigs of free disk space left and I've recently defragged it.

I've run through all the pre-HiJackThis posting steps including online virus scan and the various anti-spyware prog scans. Apart from a couple of tracking cookies which are always reappearing there was nothing much to report.

But my system is running really slowly. When I click the Start button it takes 5-10 secs quite often to open the menu, and so on when running applications...

I've had extensive malware/spyware investigation help from 'coachwife' in the malware forum (She's a star) and she's pretty sure there's no infections.
She advised to come back here to the XP Forum to get extra help.

If you think you can help me get Windows running more quickly I'd be so grateful.

To see all the checks we've done so far take a look at this link (3 pages of it...stick with it!):

http://www.geekstogo...pic=113382&st=0

Thanks everyone :whistling:

Edited by Matt_T, 10 June 2006 - 02:37 AM.

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
When you startup the computer, dose any errors come up?

Edited by Listerofsmeg, 10 June 2006 - 02:44 AM.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
How many startup programs do you have? And do you have any P2P programs?

Try this: CLick Start > RUN > Type msconfig >OK > In the General Tab clck DIAGNOSTIC STARTUP and Press OK. Restart your computer. To get ur settings back to normal go back to MSCONFIG and Select Normal Startup.

Good Luck.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you had IE7 and you have changed quite a bit, run this, so that you return XP to default setting, you keep your installed programmes and data, but with this you get a second go at installing all the updates, SP2 etc

I would have said about cleaning up, replacing system files but see you have already done that

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi Keith

Thanks for taking over from coachwife to help me.

I've tried to do the repair but I can't persuade my PC to go into repair mode.

I've changed the boot priority to put IDE CD Rom drive first, put the XP CD into the CD drive and then rebooted but all the machine does is fail to boot and keeps looping me back into the Setup screen until I go back to hard-drive booting.

Any tips on how to proceed? I can't just run the install CD from My Computer because it refuses saying my current version of XP is newer (as it is). I also don't think this would offer me the repair option.

Cheers,

Matt :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Matt_T...

Keith says you have a wierd one going on...looks like he's right. :whistling:

If the machine is able to run in Normal Mode at all, open Control Panel and double click the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on "Settings"...click the "Edit" button. From the notepad window that opens, copy/paste the contents (boot.ini) here for me.

wannabe1

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Here's the BOOT.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Cheers,

Matt :-)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What's the make and model of this machine? Are you using a recovery cd or a retail version?

The boot.ini appears normal for an OEM machine.

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It's a Dell Dimension 2400. Bought from new with XP Home preloaded.

Am using the Windows CD that came from Dell "Microsoft XP Home Edition incl Service Pack 1". The note says "only for reinstalling the operating system".

Matt

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Evidently your recovery disk version does not support the repair function.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd and press "Enter". At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". You will be told the drive is in use and asked if you'd like to schedule the check for the next restart...type Y and press "Enter". Reboot.

This is a long check...let it finish. It may appear to start over a time or two, this is normal...be patient.

Advertisements

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Am cool with doing CHKDSK, tho you know I already did it once recently with help from coachwife, right? No errors came up.

Is the /r switch a special version?

Will report back.

Matt

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Chkdsk /r implies /f

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
OK. Have done chkdsk /r.

What should I do now?

Let me know,

Matt :-)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if there is any improvement

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hehe! Ask a silly question......! lol :-)

Seriously tho ... I already did that, but no sign of improvement.

The same problems are still there. The most obvious symptom is that if you click the Start button instead of an instant menu you actually get two grey rectangles and then a couple of seconds later those rectangles change into the program list.

That's just one example but that kind of sluggishness runs through the whole system. Windows don't instantly redraw when you minimise or maximise them, often it's done in blocks, taking several seconds for each one.

Matt