Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor connection problem PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

darkagent

darkagent

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a computer that was working fine up until about a month ago. I powered down the computer because I was going to be out of town for a few days. When I returned and turned the computer on, the monitor wouldn't come on...it just stayed in power-save mode. I thought my monitor fried somehow, so I got another one and hooked it up. Same problem. I began to think it was a video card problem at that point. I went out and bought a new card. After hooking it up, the monitor stayed in powersave. I tried the first monitor...again, the same thing. The wierd thing was that I unhooked the monitor to see if the connection was loose. The second the monitor was unhooked from the computer, it turned on. The second I hooked it back up, it returned to powersave mode. Its not the monitors or the video cards. Any ideas???

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
When you turn on the tower, be sure that all the beeps, fans, hdd's and drives do their usual sounds.. From what you're telling us here, it isnt the card or the monitor that's for sure, so it could be something else... bad ram, bad motherboard, etc.

Even if off, a computer can easily be fried by a surge if not protected.