Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't remove program - missing .log file.

• Please log in to reply

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Can anyone help, I need to get rid of this program (Pecks Power join), Add remove programs stalls whan it can't find the .log file.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you move the power join folder from programme files to My Documents

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, confirm and reboot

Check add / remove programmes for it

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks heaps Keith. Umm not so easy. I downloaded this program (Pecks Power join) ages ago. Somewhere along the way I deleted some bits and it wouldn't work anymore, and wouldn't uninstall. So I did a seach for it, then deleted everything that I could that related to the program. So I thought it was gone, however in "Add/remove programs" it was still there. As per my post, if I try and uninstall it I get error that it cant find 'ST4UNT.001'. So in regard to your 'fix', there is no folder to move to 'My documents'. In the meantime I have tried another way, which was to re-install the program and then try to uninstall again. Still getting the same problem. Any ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up and remove any ticks for the programme, click apply and reboot, check add / remove

Use search, include hidden and system files, look for ST4UNT

Also look in programme files / common files for anything for the programme

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

Check add / remove

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Keith, thanks heaps for the advice. it didn't come up in msconfig thing, also searches only found it in prefetch. I followed your instruction re deleting all those files. I have run disk clean-up and am currently doing a defrag. Problem is I have only got 11% free space on C. (that's one of the reasons I wanted to get rid of this program - to make some space on C drive) In add/remove programs, this program (Pecks Power Join) is shown to have a massive file size (6,272.00MB). That can't be right can it? The program was only a little freebe of the web. Does that indicate anything to you? Anyway, I'll wait for the defrag and continue as per your instruction. Thanks Heaps, really appreciate everything.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The position will be clearer after Tune Up has checked the files on the drive for incorrect entries

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok, cheers. will let you know how it goes

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Keith, TuneUp did the job perfectly, your a champ. You have sloved what has been a long standing issue, many many thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know