Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound level too low

• Please log in to reply

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have some *.avi and / or *.mpeg files, mostly movies, on my HD of my laptop, where the sound is totally too low. In many occasions I can't hear what's been said.

In general I can say that on some occasions the sound level can't be put high enough on my laptop. I've put ALL the sliders in my main volume control to maximum. Not even those, but even the ones from high an low volume control (if you put all the control levels of an equalizer to max it's roughly the same as if you just increase the volume).

So what I need is a kind of sound level booster OR a way how I can increase the individual sound level of some avi or mpeg files.

So I mean what do you do if the "range" of your sound volume is too narrow on your laptop ? I still want to do it internally and not by connecting extra booster speakers to my notebook.

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
What program do you use to view the file/s?

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Well in fact any program to play avi, mpeg or just regular rented DVD's

I can use Media Player, Media Player Classic or PowerDVD.

I agree it is probabily something wrong with the volume level of the original file. But if I just had some more boosting reserve I could crank the sound level up.

Anyway it happens maybe 15% of the time that I just cannot increase the level enough to make even normal speach in these clips or movies understandable.

In those rare cases I would just like to have something to boost the sound, but every level is set to maximum.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would recommend that you buy a pair of cheap speakers and plug them into the laptop when you can't hear the sound clearly enough. Of course this won't work when you're not near a power outlet, but it will at least help when you are. Don't need any kind of expensive speaker set because the speakers in laptops are worse then the cheapest speakers you can find. Now not all laptops have cheap speakers, but the majority do because laptops really aren't meant for playing sound constantly like say your home computer is.

Fenor

*EDIT* headphones with a volume control on the headphones themself would help as well and they would be completely mobile.

Edited by Fenor, 10 June 2006 - 11:22 AM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
open all media programs, and check the volume levels. also do you have a codec like xvid? that could cause it.
Go to >control panel >sounds and audio devices. on the volume tab check the "speaker settings" advanced tab, make sure it is all correct, (laptop mono, laptop stereo)
try >volume control >options >properties select all volume controls, turn them up
check the drivers.

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Sorry to repeat myself, but I already mentioned that everything is already set to MAX. Also speaker levels.
In the individual programs I use to playback my video files everything is also set to MAX. How the Xvid codec can be resposible I don't get.
An extra speaker set connected to the laptop could do the job I guess; also a set of xtra headphones.
But I'd liked to do it with an audio booster program if possible if such a thing exists

Edited by JimB007, 11 June 2006 - 05:26 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
No such program exists, since you can't amplify sound without an external piece of hardware, like speakers that plug into a wall outlet or headphones with a volume control.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 11 June 2006 - 05:30 PM.

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
The sound of all the different applications goes first through your standard volume level software after which it probabily goes through the amplifiers (or sound driver etc.). Isn't there some software that can increase this level of all the different applications b4 it goes into the main amplifier or b4 the sound comes to the input of the volume level regulators of Windows ?
I mean I compare it with a normal audio amplifier where you can increase the sound level of all the inputs right b4 it goes to the input of your preamplifier. Or you can increase the level at the output of the main or preamplifier.