Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

belkin high speed wireless G router help!

• Please log in to reply

maree1604

maree1604

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi im new! I have just installed the above router. i am currently using the internet with the modem plugged into the router and the router plugged into my computer.
My query is that i have tried unplugging the modem but then i loose internet connection. have i done something wrong? Surely i don't have to carry around the modem with me aswell as the router and 6 cables?! Thanks!

:blink: :help: :) :woot: :whistling:

Advertisements

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello,

Ok are you trying to connect wireless? Yes the modem has to be plugged into the router at all times or you will have no internet. Also what type of computer are you using? Please explain your problem a little better.

Tom

maree1604

maree1604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Right i am using a advent laptop.

i have a DSL modem.

i bought my laptop today and i told the assistant i wanted a wireless modem so i could use the computer and internet in any room of my house. she said the laptop has a internal modem and all i needed was a router.
i have installed it all correctly but i am still next to the modem because if i unplug it it will disconnect.so how can i be mobile with my laptop!

thanks for your help! hope this explains it more!!

maree1604

maree1604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
this is the one i bought:

http://www.pcworld.c...3&category_oid=

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Sorry I forgot to subscribe to this one.

Ok the machine that you have has a wireless card in it. Do you know how to turn the card on. There may be a power button or a switch either on the side or could be up top. I do see from the pictures there are some buttons at the top near the screen. Once you have the card turned on. You will see a icon in the system tray that should say new wireless networks found click on that and find your router and click connect. You should be connected. Then just leave the modem and router were they are and move round as you please.

Tom

maree1604

maree1604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok thanks for reply.i cant see any button on my computer. the one at the top are volume and email buttons. there is no manual with my computer just some flimsy leaflet about windows. grrrr

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
After doing some more checking your wireless card is usb. Since I'm in america and we dont sell advent's over here it took me awhile here is the support page for you machine. 7095 advent

As you can see there it says its a usb adapter. It should have come with your computer! If you did not get one then I would go back to the store where you bought your computer and get one. Once you have one all you have to do is plug that in to an open usb port and then follow my other instructions.

Tom :whistling:

maree1604

maree1604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeh i have an adaptor it says WLAN USB2.0 Adapter. i have already installed that. will that enable me to use the internet without being attached to the modem?
Thanks for your help btw

Edited by maree1604, 12 June 2006 - 04:33 AM.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Yes plug that into the usb port. That must stay in all the time when using a wireless connection. Install any and all software that came with that device. Then tell what happens after you plug it in.

maree1604

maree1604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i took out the usb stick and plugged it back in again. it said we have detected new hardware and it cannot be installed because the wizzard cannot find the necessary software. Even though the disk for it is in.

So if i put the disk in on its own it will only give me the option on uninstalling the usb stick.

god this is so frustrating lolol

Advertisements

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Click on control panel, click system, click hardware, click device manger, do you see any yellow icons next to anything that is listed?

maree1604

maree1604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yes a yellow question mark then a yello exclamtion mark on top of it. next to it it says usb2.0 wlan

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok click on open it up what does it say. Should give an error code and an explanation.

maree1604

maree1604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

so i clicked Reinstall driver and i get the same problem again...cannot find software etc. Even though the disk is in the drive!!!!

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok remove the usb stick. Start the cd when comes to the part unistall driver say yes. let it unistall. Your computer may require a restart. Then start the cd again it should install drivers or something to that effect. Install the drivers then. Plug the stick back in.