Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor in powersave, activate using PC

• Please log in to reply

npnight13

npnight13

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone - new here ;) hope to become a regular addition to the boards - and not just because something went wrong!

Okay, I have a Dell Optiplex running Win2000 Professional.

It was working Saturday and supposedly Mon & Tues.

Today I came in, moved the mouse to activate the monitor and nothing happened.

I shut off and turn on the monitor and it says:
Monitor in powersave mode. Activate using PC.

I have never seen this message in the 5 years using this computer. So I hit every key on the keyboard, nothing happens. I reboot the computer, nothing happens - black screen and instead of the green "on" light, the monitor is showing the standby light (amber).

I can't even access the monitor options by clicking on the menu button on the monitor.

Switched monitors, same problem.

When I boot the computer, it "sounds" normal... usually the computer is never turned off.

Now... after reading some stuff - I think it may be the power supply - but I don't know what that is (I mean, I can figure out what it does) but where is it in the computer? Can I see if I open it up (right now I have it opened)... can it be replaced? Is it easy to replace?

This is a work computer, and I really don't think a power supply will be ordered - because it IS an old computer and we are awaiting new ones (heard that before :tazz: ) but I REALLY need the stuff on the hard drive - so, would it be easier to take the hard drive out and put it in another computer, OR to take the power supply out from a working computer and put it in?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Advertisements

npnight13

npnight13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: The light on the computer tower itself... does turn on.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The fact that the screen stays black and shows no post ( writing on screen during power up) and the monitor stays amber usually indicates a bad cpu

You could try another psu if you have one in a tower it is usually located near the top of the case in the rear, it has all the cables coming out.

It could also be the video card you could try a different one also.

Does the computer make any beeps on start up?

If the computer is real old it might be best if you put the hard drive in another computer and get your data.

Rick

npnight13

npnight13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you Rick :tazz:

After 7 hours (not continious of course!) the problem was resolved.

It was a bad video card.

Computer is up and running, backed up, and good to go! Well, THAT computer also had bad USB ports so now I'm using a different one.

Thanks again!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome, glad you got it fixed and it was only a bad card

Rick