Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building a new computer, need recomendations. want the fastest process

• Please log in to reply

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hey,

I'm building a new video editing and compositing computer system. Some effects take hours to render.

At the moment i have: Computer:
P4 3.4GHz Prescott 800FSB HT, ASUS P5AD2 board, Corsair 1GB PC2-4200 DualDDR2 RAM, ASUS EN6600 TD GeForce 256MB Graphics, 3x Seagate 80GB SATA NCQ HD in RAID performance mode.

And I need more more more processing power, its wayyy tooo slow at times.

what do you recommend? i hear there is a new intel chip coming out next month" Intel® Core™2 Duo processor Conroe"

can you get 2 CPU's in one motherboard.. is that the fastest way to go?

I’m also looking at 2* 500GB HDD's and a 20GB one for OS storage, or is the RAID performance mode faster?

2GB RAM. Or should I hit 4?

Budget.... $2500AUS,,, maybe $2700. But if you know something for more let me know. (Under $4000 though).

Thanks if anyone can help or give opinions!

Advertisements

proballer

proballer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
well , theres a new proccesor intel pr D its fast an i recomend it. i have it an i only got it for about $300. but you may need a new graphics card. And you cant put 2 processors into 1 computer sadly :whistling: . about the graphics card try an get a ATI radeon 9000 + its one of the best. need anymore help just ask.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol proballer i think you need to read up on current hardware you are just a little out of date.

You can in fact get two or more CPUs on one board if you like but its rather expensive and with dual core CPUs more than most need. If you can wait till July i would say the core 2s are the way to go they are going to be fsat chips and ideal for what you are doing.

I would probably go for 4Gb of ram myself.

HDD wise two 500-750Gb drives would be pretty decent i would ditch the small drives(dont know why people think a seperate small drive for OS is faster it isnt) keep the OS on a seperate partiotion on one of the large drives or get another large faster drive for it you want get a 20Gb drive fast enough to give good performance and you pay more per Gb at sizes below 160-200Gb.

There is no such thing as performance mode in RAID, there is striping and it can boost performance but its not anything significant for only two drives and balanced against the risk of complete data loss its not worth it. You get a sufficient performance boost just from having two drives and careful file management.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
thanks warriorscot,

so 1 dual core is definitly more profecient then the "P4 3.4GHz Prescott 800FSB HT"? for example it took me 7 hours to add a video effect in after effects to a 5min video... i would really want this cut down to 30min... or at least 3 hours.. otherwise i will have to consider dual processors.

also i recently read this:
"A dual processor system is exactly what the name implies - a system with two processors. You need a motherboard with two processor sockets to make this work (and such motherboard tend to be expensive). A dual-core processor is a little different, however. A dual-core processor is a single chip that has multiple processing "cores" on it. It will appear to the operating system as two processors, act the way two processors would act and have the same kinds of advantages as a dual-processor system has. It is only one chip, however, and only requires a single standard socket on the motherboard."

i found some of these motherboards:
http://www.directron.com/dual.html

They are relativly in my price range, especailly if i will be waiting another month or 2.

I guess my next questions are:

* is a single Intel® Core™2 Duo processor Conroe the best option?
* or are two other processors better, and what would they be?
* Will two Intel® Core™2 Duo processor Conroe work on a dual motherbaord?

thanks for the hard drive and operating system information.

also proballer... im not really sure a graphics card effects what i need to be done?, so a cheaper 256 one should be fine? eg the ASUS EN6600 TD GeForce 256MB Graphics i allready use.

is there any benift in getting the "XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 500Mhz 1Gig DDR3 Dual DVI TV-Out Model" for example? in terms of faster processing and after effects running faster... otherwise i dont need it..

thanks again!

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Also I should add that I’m keeping in mind that i may upgrade to windows vista next year, depending on how successful or unsuccessful it is.

i read this:
"256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels
Meets graphics memory bandwidth requirements, as assessed by Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor running on Windows XP"

at http://www.microsoft...efootnotes.mspx

im getting two 24"inch monitors, so perhaps a 512 graphics card is required (with dual dvi out). (not included in the budget for the computer).

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nah youll just need a 256 although they make special cards for 2d stuff like vid editing the fireGL cards are an example you want get much boost from a 3d gfx card like the 7950 i also wouldnt go to high end with dx10 coming soon its a 3d standard wont effect vid editin but anything 3d its a big factor it does give a slight general boost as well.

I would avoid dual cpus they need certain chips to work usually server chips like xeon and opteron and often need registered RAM, they are more trouble than they are worth and applications are only just starting to make use of dual core dual cpus are a different story entirely. Avoid the dual cpu factor.

If you are getting two monitors make sure the gfx card supports it, i would reccomend an x1000 series gfx cards as they have good multimonitor support and the image quality on them is the best you can get, although if you are waiting for conroe then new cards wil probably be out and we can go through them at the time.

You will want DDR2 ram, and a decent sized case probably a BTX and ATX compatible one so it will last into the future and one with decent cooling as you will have a fairly powerful system.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
ok, thanks for your help. i guess ill come back to this in 1 month.