Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply

silentarts

silentarts

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
ok...here is my story.

I installed a program called Firegraphic, which is a image viewer, and it took control over most of my image files, and when i tried to change them back, i cannot. I uninstalled the software and i have all of my files not showing a icon telling me what program it uses.

When i use CTRL and Right Click, and go to Open With, i see Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which is what i like to use, and i do not use the others... but i have a hard drive full of images, all over the place, and they are showing as a file without a program to run it....

if i click on it, it opens and so on, but they show a blank icon....

please help me to restore it.......

please

i am also willing to supply more info...........

just help me..

thanks in advance

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open up my computer > tools > folder options > file types > find the file type that you're looking for (jpg or whatever) and click the "change button" in the open with section...find the proper program..make sure that the "always use this program to open files of this type" box is checked...and hit apply

silentarts

silentarts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
well, i did that, and it works, but the icon for the files don't come back...

it is still showing as a file without a program to run it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the file, click properties, click change, select the programme you want, check always use this programme is ticked, click apply

silentarts

silentarts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
problem solved.....pc crashed

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So what happens when you start the PC