Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing files? Started w/ accesibility wiz

• Please log in to reply

teresamay

teresamay

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
My problem started when I tried to download something from an email. The message I got was "can not open file with accessability wizard running.
I accessed the wizard hoping there was some place I could "turn it off" or stop it from running. During this, I must have uninstalled something. I recieved "missing information needed to run accessability wizard during boot up and when trying to open downloads.
I tried to repair/reinstall missing information with windows 98 CD. Nothing happend. So I tried to just reinstall operating system. The reinstall would not complete and I had to do a system restore in order to reboot.
After reboot everything in windows opened fine. But most of the destop icons changed. They are now a piece of paper with a folded corner. All of these have .lnk after icon name. None of these icons will open the related program when clicked.
I ran a system function test and have a lot of programs that have been changed or are missing. My 98 disk will not repair/install any of them.
I am at a loss and do not know what to do. I considered just upgrading my OP to windows 2000 hoping it would install the needed files. I decided I better check with someone who knew more than me first to make sure that this would work, or if there was something else I could do to fix this.
Any help would be great!!

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
What you describe with the icons looking like paper sound like you have broken links. When you attempted the reinstall you more than likely deleted those progrms by overwritting them with the install proccess.
You may be able to use a live version of linux running from a RAMdrive to recover any lost files provided they are not over written. Try

http;//www.knoppix.com
http://www.puppylinux.org

You will need at least 256Mb of RAM and a CD\DVD burner.

teresamay

teresamay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It took so long for someone to respond to this topic I thought no one would. While you were responding, I was installing windows 2000. I thought if there was something missing perhaps a new Operating system would fix it. It didn't. Now I get to reinstall everything else to finish the update. Drivers, programs etc...
So any suggestions?
Do I need to drop this topic and open one in 2000 operating systems forum?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start a new topic in the 2000 forum with the latest position